Discuss Mobility scooter and power chair testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A residential home asked me to test their mobility equipment. The charging leads were straightforward PAT testing, but they want electrical safety certificates for the vehicles.

Any sensible replies welcome.

Are the mobeisity scooters battery powered?

TBH I would think they need a mobility scooter company to do safety checks as this would involve brakes, lights etc as well as the motive side.

A residential home asked me to test their mobility equipment. The charging leads were straightforward PAT testing, but they want electrical safety certificates for the vehicles.

Any sensible replies welcome.
If they don't have any voltage present above the allowable touch voltage (I assume 50v in UK as well) and come with the BS kitemark or UL tested certification or similar then I don't see how you could issue an 'electrical safety cert'.

As above, I would have thought it was a safety check and certificate for Insurance purposes they want, not an Electrical certificate.

Are the mobeisity scooters battery powered?

TBH I would think they need a mobility scooter company to do safety checks as this would involve brakes, lights etc as well as the motive side.

They are 24v battery powered with either 1 or 2 DC motors. They need electrical safety certificates for insurance. The machines have annual service by mobility company.

If they don't have any voltage present above the allowable touch voltage (I assume 50v in UK as well) and come with the BS kitemark or UL tested certification or similar then I don't see how you could issue an 'electrical safety cert'.

It wouldn't be an EICR or anything just proof that electrical safety has been checked

Then I guess PAT testing the chargers and a visual inspection that there's been no deviation from the manufacturers design is about the best you could really do.

They are 24v battery powered with either 1 or 2 DC motors. They need electrical safety certificates for insurance. The machines have annual service by mobility company.
So the annual service report should suffice for the insurance company.

Getting silly here. As Marvo said above, PA testing of chargers, visual of the vehicle, what else can you do?
Not many folk have been fried on a faulty mobility scooter/segway/golf trolley...or from a socket in a bathroom, tbh.

Contacted the Home and problem is H&S officer says mobility vehicles are heightened fire risk. He Requires an electrical safety certificate for each unit

Heightened fire risk because of the gases given off when charging the batteries?
Perhaps they should be stored and charged in a well ventilated area, perhaps even outside.

Heightened fire risk because of the gases given off when charging the batteries?
Perhaps they should be stored and charged in a well ventilated area, perhaps even outside.

They are kept in small charging bays next to each residents entry This seems a perfectly safe arrangement, but he keeps banging on about fire safety

Last edited:
Request that the H&S officer specifies exactly which electrical certificate would fulfill his requirements.

I'm going to knock up a checklist based on the model PAT forms (Watts, Volts, battery Ahr, condition of plugs conductors etc) and see if he goes for it

Contacted the Home and problem is H&S officer says mobility vehicles are heightened fire risk. He Requires an electrical safety certificate for each unit

Without knowing the inner workings and having training and experience on the Scooters the O.P is not qualified to issue any certificate for safety. Check you P.L insurance, I doubt you're covered.
It's a job for the Scooter maintainer.

In the same vein the H&S Officer (I assume), does not have suitable training and experience to say the scooters represent a heightened fire risk.

The users of the Scooters represent the greatest risk, are they regularly assessed for thier driving abilities, by someone competent to do so?

Without knowing the inner workings and having training and experience on the Scooters the O.P is not qualified to issue any certificate for safety. Check you P.L insurance, I doubt you're covered.
It's a job for the Scooter maintainer.

In the same vein the H&S Officer (I assume), does not have suitable training and experience to say the scooters represent a heightened fire risk.

The users of the Scooters represent the greatest risk, are they regularly assessed for thier driving abilities, by someone competent to do so?

The units have all been serviced and safety checked by mobility company, but he keeps on about electrical safety certificates from qualified electrical contractor. I'm still thinking DIY visual inspection sheet.

So if his car has passed an MOT does he get Shell, B.P or whoever supplied the fuel to say it's safe and is not going to burst into flames?

You've already gone too far.
A Scooter is not a Portable appliance it's a vehicle, the charging lead should be tested as part of the Scooter maintenance.
Even if the charger is separate from the scooter, it belongs to the scooter.

Reply to Mobility scooter and power chair testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net