Discuss Mobility scooter and power chair testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The units have all been serviced and safety checked by mobility company, but he keeps on about electrical safety certificates from qualified electrical contractor. I'm still thinking DIY visual inspection sheet.

As @Marvo has already said "Request that the H&S officer specifies exactly which electrical certificate would fulfill his requirements."
I would be interested to hear his reply. He is demanding a cert then let him state what cert he needs....

Also think about the legal aspect, if something goes wrong and Doris crashes into a bunch of school kids are you qualified and competent to work on and certify Mobeisity scooters?

Without knowing the inner workings and having training and experience on the Scooters the O.P is not qualified to issue any certificate for safety. Check you P.L insurance, I doubt you're covered.
It's a job for the Scooter maintainer.

In the same vein the H&S Officer (I assume), does not have suitable training and experience to say the scooters represent a heightened fire risk.

The users of the Scooters represent the greatest risk, are they regularly assessed for thier driving abilities, by someone competent to do so?

It's not a requirement to have training to drive them but a recommendation. Although no licence or insurance is required, the bigger class 3 mobility scooter can be driven on any public road with exception of motorways. Highway code rules 41 to 46.

So if his car has passed an MOT does he get Shell, B.P or whoever supplied the fuel to say it's safe and is not going to burst into flames?

You've already gone too far.
A Scooter is not a Portable appliance it's a vehicle, the charging lead should be tested as part of the Scooter maintenance.
Even if the charger is separate from the scooter, it belongs to the scooter.
Well that doesn't apply to electric cars, but your point would apply where some power chairs have onboard chargers (supermarkets have these)

As @Marvo has already said "Request that the H&S officer specifies exactly which electrical certificate would fulfill his requirements."
I would be interested to hear his reply. He is demanding a cert then let him state what cert he needs....

When I asked that he said that I am the electrician, certification is up to me.

It's not a requirement to have training to drive them but a recommendation. Although no licence or insurance is required, the bigger class 3 mobility scooter can be driven on any public road with exception of motorways. Highway code rules 41 to 46.

I'll give up with this thread after this,

The training I'm refering to is to work on them not drive them.

Also think about the legal aspect, if something goes wrong and Doris crashes into a bunch of school kids are you qualified and competent to work on and certify Mobeisity scooters?

The vehicles have all been serviced and tested by the mobility company he wants Assurance that they will not cause an electrical fire

When I asked that he said that I am the electrician, certification is up to me.

Sounds like a cop-out to me.
Tell him that you can test the mains lead but anything within the vehicles is down to the mobile company.

The vehicles have all been serviced and tested by the mobility company he wants Assurance that they will not cause an electrical fire

Then ask the mobility company to state that in their service....

That's between him and the mobility company then. TBH as part of the service contract should they not also be inspecting and testing the chargers?

It all just sounds weird.
I would probably issue a Certificate stating that the Low Voltage wiring on the chair/scooter is safe for use, does not represent a fire risk and should be re-tested in 12 months time.

I would probably issue a Certificate stating that the Low Voltage wiring on the chair/scooter is safe for use, does not represent a fire risk and should be re-tested in 12 months time.

I quite agree, the question is what certificate?

Out of interest, what tests should be carried out to verify that "the chair/scooter is safe for use, does not represent a fire risk"? After all @oracle will be putting his name on this 'cert'.

@oracle : Ask what electrical tests the mobility company do.

My idea, is that the chair/scooter will be ELV, so stating that all low voltage wiring is safe will in fact be meaningless.
I would probably make something up based on a MEIWC.

TBH, if it were me and he made a statement like that I'd politely decline his request and just tell him to contact the agents for the scooters for his bullshyte certificate.

So would I . There is so much ambiguity and buck passing going on here.

So would I . There is so much ambiguity and buck passing going on here.
Yeah, either this guy has some kinda underhanded agenda or he's a single cell idiot. Either way I'd be backing out rapidly.

As someone who carries out fire risk assessments I both agree and disagree with this H&S fella. Firstly there is nothing you can submit to suggest these scooters are not going to catch fire, walk away as this is an --- covering request which is passing responsibility to you. Secondly if these scooters are placed on or near an escape route they can pose a significant risk. There are instances of combustion where they are left on charge unattended and also arson attack. Most of their component parts are highly combustible and they can rapidly burn out of control. He has a valid point.

Reply to Mobility scooter and power chair testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock