Discuss module testing? does everyone really do it?! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

matt25

Does everyone really test each individual pv module before putting it on the roof?! Given that it can be very time consuming im not so sure!?
Honest replies only please!

Every time, and the customer gets the spreadsheet in the handover pack.

Even large 50kW and bigger installs, it take a few seconds.

Rig up a simple test box (DC isolator), put MC4's on your test leads, cut the prongs off the MC4 male and the lugs off the MC4 female on the test rig and it literally takes seconds.

We're currently working on a new test rig (we'll share the photo's when it finished) that should cut the time down even further.

Domestics - no. Easy enough to spot a problem and replace a dud module when string testing with minimal disruption. Might take a little longer to find and replace, but considering it hasn't happened yet I'm happy to take that chance
Commercial - yes. When there's 250 modules to go on a chicken shed roof, each one gets a Voc test at the very least as soon as it comes out the box. Found three duff panels on the last job which would have been a nightmare to extricate and replace had they been up on the roof.

Hopefully i'll get quicker with more experience! Thanks for all your comments

Hi, just wondered your opinion on the seaward pv100, although costly would it speed up the module testing process? I struggle to understand how you can perform & record the testing in seconds??

Clipboard, Tablet PC, Barcode Scanner, Spreadsheet.
Or Clipboard, Printed Test Sheet, Pen

Oh, and a custom made test box (Vn2 being designed as we speak..)

Looking for a test meter with USB connection next :) And then I'll get my systems developer to write some custom software :)

Wow! sounds good. Could you let me know when your test box is made please? How does the barcode scanner work in with this, ive never used one before??
Cracking website by the way. Many thanks, Matt

Barcode Scanner reads the serial number, works just like typing (we're lazy!)

Also have a series of numbers to read to input the voltage, current and IR on the sheet converted into a barcode!

'Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping' NEXT!

Last edited:
We test every panel before lifting to the roof. Why carry a dud panel up, not that we've had one yet!

Simple test box and pen and pre-printed paper (not as flash as worcester but works)

We test as they come off the pallet without fail , i take it others record not just this but also the serial number of each module and where it is placed on the roof . Just imagine a product call back in a few years time especially on the job we signed off on Friday with 672 modules .:001_9898:!

Promised I'd show you all a photo sometime so here it is: our Rapid Response Panel Test Rig

We're still looking for reasonably priced USB connected meters, till then, this has to suffice:

module testing? does everyone really do it?! DSCF2621 - EletriciansForums.net

In individual panel test mode, hook the two long leads up to the panel, the top (clamp) meter is set to read Volts, so gives us VoC, press the button, the bottom meter is a 20 Amp, (up to 60V DC) through meter, so we then get the instantaneous ISc, Scan the Panel Barcode into the spreadsheet, and manually enter the Irradiance meter reading, then next panel.

In String test mode, hook the two long leads up to the string MC4's (or adapters if SMA Sunnyclic), you need to swap the meters round as our clamp meter only reads up to 600V DC and the bottom meter won't take >60V DC in direct current mode, however it will read up to 1000V DC!

So connect the bottom meter up to the Voc connectors, disconnect the clamp meter and put it round one of the long cables, and there you go, a one handed string test meter setup.

It may not be worthwhile doing the latter bit if you've only got a couple of strings, however when you've got 15 of them at 840V a time, it's a safer way!

Last edited:
ha ha!! do you store it like that???

have you got an ann summers rig kit worcester!!

i cover the panel when unplugging after the test unlike the guy did on the nic eic test.

@1billy wiz

Open circuit it before you pull the plugs and you don't need to cover the panel.

The push button does the short circuit. It's not a push on, push off. It's just two pole push to make, so both +ve and -ve are open circuit in the 'rest' state, push the button and it makes the circuit to the ammeter, you could use just a cable loop and a clamp meter to do the Isc, it just easier having a through meter.

When you've got 200 + panels to test you'll soon see why this bit of kit is essential - you'll never make that mistake!

We NEVER short circuit panels or strings directly. For String tests we either use the isolator at the inverter end post install, or on the big strings running at nearly 1000V and 6 Amps, we use our old one as prevously described, it's just too slow and dangerous to do it any other way. When you've got loads of panels to test, and you could accidentaly leave it closed, hence short circuited you'll get a good flash and you'll only do it the once.

Here's the old test rig:
module testing? does everyone really do it?! DSCF2639 - EletriciansForums.net

It was just a pain to keep unplugging the meter and opening and closing the isolator to swap between Voc and Isc.

i dont have that equipment.i do the panels individually with the ammeter boo hoo!! from the inverter end you can close the circuit & use the rotary obviously to take the readings. it's just im on my second job & ive been left on my own & he's on holiday & he did show me briefly last time.

i need to invest into that kit as for the barcode i peeled off the module label instead of jotting it all down as they stick perfectly on our sheet's.

thank's for sharing this great advice, i appreciate it upmost!

So if you peeled off the barcode label, what's left on the panel? !

The above is nothing special at all, in fact it isn't even the minimum you need to do an install ... (properly...)

Reply to module testing? does everyone really do it?! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock