Discuss Monitor Powersupply faulty? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

icecoolwas

Basically I turn on my 17" Xerox TFT Monitor on today and I can straight away hear flickering like squeal, looking at the screen I can see it shake abit and the monitor looks abit purple, not good, so I ring up a monitor repair center and I am presented a fixed repair price of £40 + VAT, since I have a decent understanding of electronics and soldering (I did electronics for GCSE) I decided to have a hack at it myself, opened it up, discharged high voltage capacitors and took out the powersupply unit. I cant see any marks or of that sort, and I am wondering what it could be, straight away I notice two capacitors bulging, values of them are: 470uf, 25v, 105c. they are surrounded by 4 other capacitors, rated at 1000uf, 25v, 105c. I have decided to replace all 6 and I was wondering if you guys believe this will fix my problem? what else could it possibly be?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a good plan to me, capacitors at those values cost pence, have a good look at the transformer/rectification stage and im sure youve checked board mounted fuses?:cool:

If the capacitors are bulging there is a very good chance that replacing them will cure it.

Thank you guys, had the same OP in a different forum and got the same response, just bought the right capacitors online and I will post back with results on thursday.

well if it isnt the cause once I've replaced them, it was a problem anyway, they had to be changed, if it doesnt work I'll just buy a 2nd hand monitor of ebay for £40-50.

Reply to Monitor Powersupply faulty? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock