Discuss Moral Dilemma with the DVLA in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
about this time last year I was caught speeding twice in the space of four minutes on the Grantham stretch of the A1.

After taking professional advice I was encouraged to challenge the NIPs and appeal to have them considered as a single continuous offence.

I received a letter along with the fines and points notifications stating that they were not inclined to agree and that it would be six points and £200.

I was a bit miffed but did not take it further as court could have finished with 12 points and over £1000 in fines. So thinking nothing of it I paid the fines and sent back all the paperwork. I received the paperwork back and both forms were stamped "endorsed".

Now, come renewal time I changed insurer and they asked for a copyy of my on line licence summary and lo and behold it comes back showing only one offence and only three points recorded.

So do I just assume that some kind heated soul at the DVLA has seen the outrageous thieving scummery of Lincolnshire plod for what it was and overruled their decision hence only recording one offence.

Or, do I assume that our impeccable and tirelessly diligent public servants at the DVLA have allowed their performance to deviate from their normal level of infallibility and have on this occasion made an error.

Of course I'd hate to cast doubt on them but should I call and check or leave well alone in the safe assumption that the DVLA are the fount of wisdom and unimpeachability that we are all accustomed to?

You know what they say mate, your lies will find you out, best to be honest imo.

Personally I would be completely open with the insurance company. If there is even a sniff of you not telling them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but, you may find they invalidate your policy when it suits them.

I have told no lies.
Bad analogy on my part, what I meant was, well thinking about it again, you could feel the wrath of the insurance company's if you don't mention the anomaly better safe than sorry, it may seem a daft question but why not contact DVLA and explain your dilemma, might cost you a bit premium wise if they have screwed up.
On the other hand, you know they turned your request down, but have now come back, with only 1 offence.
Contact them and clarify the situation, better that than facing a fraud case, which it possibly could turn into, if some eagle eyed pencil neck finds out about the case.

.. I'm beginning to wonder if insurance companies get more info from
lights cameras ,and other cameras without Police convictions .
( Mines expensive ) My turbo causes tyre wear !

Personally I would be completely open with the insurance company. If there is even a sniff of you not telling them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but, you may find they invalidate your policy when it suits them.
I know. This has come to light as I have set up the policy over the phone and told them it's six points. However my licence summary says only three.

The woman at the insurance company said if that's what it says then that's what it is, and as they like to remind you they record everything.

I would write to both the DVLA and the insurance company... the DVLA to enquire why you've only got one offence on there when you were expecting two... what does your paper licence say? And the insurance company to ensure they have it in writing that as far as you were aware you have 6 points on your licence.

My brother used to work for an insurance company in bristol. You would be amazed at the number of databases they have access to. They can at a touch of a button see all your insurance policies and what info you put on the application to find fraudulent policies such as changing job title or income etc. The major insurers pay for info from companies who compile court records from public available infi and sell it to them. They can cross reference this with policy holders when it suits them. It might be fine now but as others said. If you make a claim they will run you through the databases for a reason to avoid paying out. I know this as my brothers job was to find claims they could refuse. He once rejected a house fire insurance claim as the owners had put upvc windows in and added a porch . Adding value and failed to update the policy and insurer with the changes. It avoided a 6 figure loss to the insurers. He now works finding scammers in personal injury claims. Your whole financial and insurance history is available to these people. Experian dont just do credit checks. They can verify qualifications. And in turn where you studied and dates. They buy access to dvla and passport info to verify id docs... So honesty is the best policy!

Bad analogy on my part, what I meant was, well thinking about it again, you could feel the wrath of the insurance company's if you don't mention the anomaly better safe than sorry, it may seem a daft question but why not contact DVLA and explain your dilemma, might cost you a bit premium wise if they have screwed up.
On the other hand, you know they turned your request down, but have now come back, with only 1 offence.
Contact them and clarify the situation, better that than facing a fraud case, which it possibly could turn into, if some eagle eyed pencil neck finds out about the case.
They can ne no fraud. I have fullly followed their instructions. Other than that you're completely correct.

Just a funny situation to share with you all.

My premium was calculated over the phone based on six points and that is what I'm paying. It's only when they ask for the documents to confirm that this has shown up.

Will be talking to the useless prats at the DVLA on Monday.

I would write to both the DVLA and the insurance company... the DVLA to enquire why you've only got one offence on there when you were expecting two... what does your paper licence say? And the insurance company to ensure they have it in writing that as far as you were aware you have 6 points on your licence.
Paper licence? What century Are you living in. o_O

about this time last year I was caught speeding twice in the space of four minutes on the Grantham stretch of the A1.

After taking professional advice I was encouraged to challenge the NIPs and appeal to have them considered as a single continuous offence.

I received a letter along with the fines and points notifications stating that they were not inclined to agree and that it would be six points and £200.

I understand you've had legal advice, but what were the circumstances; what were the speeding offences and what devices registered your speed?

I understand you've had legal advice, but what were the circumstances; what were the speeding offences and what devices registered your speed?
Doesn't really matter now as previously explained.
The fist was an average speed section 79 in a 70 and the second was a fixed GATSO 81 in a 70. The complicating factor was this was in a van so not 70 but 60 as this was a section of the A1 that is not Motorway.
I was not aware of the difference in speed limit for a non car derived van, no excuse as I should have known.

The single continuois offence defence was very strong as it was on the same road with no junctions and only four minutes separating the two offences. The reason it was not persued is that the penalties the court could have applied could have resulted in a ban and it was too big a risk to take.

No real gripes in the end.

Ohh err, so you were doing 79 in a 60 & 81 in a 60. Eeeek.

I was just wondering if you were caught in a average speed section & static camera in virtually the same place. Another 5 mph, and it would of gone to caught, and you could of had your legal argument then :)

I think DVLA just apply the points to your licence, from a FPN or court scentence. Looks like a admin error. Be interesting what they say though, as they are the record keepers!

Reply to Moral Dilemma with the DVLA in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net