Discuss More suffering, sad news about the tower block fire in London in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tower block fire in London, apparently there are many deaths, some saying the smoke/fire alarm didn't work, our thoughts are with the survivors and Family members of the Dead and injured.

I found earlier this morning a report on how shoddy the wiring, fire system, space for emergency vehicles and escape routes were. This report told the housing company in no uncertain terms that this was exactly what was going to happen! I'll try and find a link to it again.

From the report it's likely to be an electrical fault that started it, the block had a £10m upgrade recently, wonder if they fit metal CU's? (Is it too early for a joke?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not heard about this until now, yes our thoughts definitely go out to those involved & their families.
Too early to know exactly what happened, only a thoroughly open investigation will reveal that.
Only then can those responsible be held fully accountable.

Well questions will be asked as to how a fire can spread like that in a newly refurbished block of flats. Serious lack of fire barriers and containment by the look of it. There will be some twitchy bums this morning from whoever did the refurbishment.

A quick look at early footage suggests (to me) that whatever started it, it went straight up the facade of the building ... as if they've clad the building in a flammable material (?) . I hope I'm wrong, but polite words fail me.

I can't bare to watch any more knowing the pain and suffering this will have caused.

According to the news, a refurbishment doesn't have the latest fire regs applied, which seems more than a little odd. That said a house refurb doesn't have to have mains powered smoke alarms, but if it has a new CU it has to be metal!

It is the speed of fire spread which should not have happened in a block of flats, correctly constructed it should have been restricted. That was unbelievable it was almost like it was constructed of wood.

A quick look at early footage suggests (to me) that whatever started it, it went straight up the facade of the building ... as if they've clad the building in a flammable material (?) . I hope I'm wrong, but polite words fail me.

I can't bare to watch any more knowing the pain and suffering this will have caused.
This is highly possible, if a fire occurs in one flat the rest of the block should be well protected by the containment of that flat though some surrounding dwellings may suffer damage. External cladding may well have aided its spread with people likely to have had open windows. People state they could smell plastic burning and I suspect this is what they could smell. I wouldn't mind seeing the findings of any FRA carried out on it.

Reports on skynews saying resident heard a faulty fridge caused it... Nothing confirned though...
The refurb clad the building in some sort of white plastic based cladding. Hence why it spread so quick.
Agree with others that there will be squeeky bums in many an office this morning. No doubt getting paperwork in order as we speak!

You can see from the footage the external cladding burning up the building and falling off. If this is the cause of the rapid spread because internally it should not have happened then some people are sitting very uneasy this morning.

I think there are going to be a lot of people saying they heard it start either this way or that. Some of them just to make themselves feel more important, whether that be residents, neighbours or the press. At the end of the day no one will know what actually caused the fire or why it spread so fast, until the Police & Fire investigations have finished.

Just been watching BBC and listening to some eyewitness reports. It seems accepted that the fire spread very rapidly up the exterior of the building beyond the control of the fire services already on scene dealing with the fire on the lower floors.

It also seems that the residents had an action group in place trying to get health and safety concerns addressed, fire safety being among them.

Council owned block but managed by a private company on their behalf.

Reply to More suffering, sad news about the tower block fire in London in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock