Discuss Morgan Sindall apprenticeship interview advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bozy09

-
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have an interview with morgan sindall tomorrow for an electricians apprentice position. It is a workshop based interview so I was wondering what sort of questions I should expect and what sort of things I should prepare? Any advice is welcome.

Thank You

Good evening all,

I have an interview with morgan sindall tomorrow for an electricians apprentice position. It is a workshop based interview so I was wondering what sort of questions I should expect and what sort of things I should prepare? Any advice is welcome.

Thank You
Turn your Mobile OFF
Ask questions
Don't waffle, if you don't know say so
Firm hand shake
Are you an Adult Trainee, or is this your first job?

Turn your Mobile OFF
Ask questions
Don't waffle, if you don't know say so
Firm hand shake
Are you an Adult Trainee, or is this your first job?

Thank you for reply, I'm 18 and I've had a few other jobs before but the only relevant work experience I've had was as a labourer during the summer (3 months work) and a single day as an electrical mate for some new company in my area. I've completed my level 2, I have my ecs card, i have a full UK driving license and I'm currently studying for my level 3 in case I can't get an apprenticeship this year. Aside from that I've worked at coffee shops part time, supermarkets, warehouses and in the kitchen of a restaurant.

This is a wind up - an 18 year old that isn’t a waste of space.

I’m joking. Good on you for getting off your backside and looking for a job.
Agree with above. Dress smartly, have your CV memorised so you can answer questions they might have about it.
Workshop setting? They might ask you about tools and equipment... shouldn’t ask you to use any I wouldn’t think.

Keep us posted on how you get on

Thank you for reply, I'm 18 and I've had a few other jobs before but the only relevant work experience I've had was as a labourer during the summer (3 months work) and a single day as an electrical mate for some new company in my area. I've completed my level 2, I have my ecs card, i have a full UK driving license and I'm currently studying for my level 3 in case I can't get an apprenticeship this year. Aside from that I've worked at coffee shops part time, supermarkets, warehouses and in the kitchen of a restaurant.
OK bozy
A few more things

Sell yourself:

Take you qualifications with you:

If you can type out a quick story of your working life including all the coffee shop type jobs, it shows the interviewer that you are prepared to work at anything:

This firm you are trying for, is it a large outfit? the reason I ask is that they may have provision for training etc, you could ask about this at the end of the interview:
At the end of the interview, they will more than likely ask you if you have any questions, make a list before you go, don't be afraid to ask if it's OK to refer to your notes, shows you are well organised:

Suggested questions to ask,
If I'm successful what sort of work will / can I expect to be doing?
What sort of PPE will I require, in most cases this type of thing is supplied by the Firm,
Is there any in house training provided?
If you are studying will the firm allow you time off to study?
How long is the Apprenticeship period?
What are the chances of being employed after Apprenticeship is completed?
Thank the Interview Board for their time, hand shakes all round, and finally you could ask, how long do they think it will be before you are notified as to how you got on.

A lot of these things have been gained by my experience of interviewing prospective Electricians when I was working, some people may say all this is rubbish, but it served me very well, and I did it for about 5 years so I have some experience. All the very best, if you are unsure of how to construct your brief working history, send me the details and I'll have a bash at cobbling something together for you, I am retired now so I have plenty of time, so not a problem for me.
If you do send me info include date etc and send it via a PM to keep your detail private.

There is very little chance they will ask you any technical questions so dont worry about that, they will be as Pete and Littlespark said be wanting to find out about you, you seem to have had quite a few jobs for your age so they will probably ask why you left each of them so be prepared for that one and dont say you got bored or left because there was better money offered else where use you imagination to think of reasons if that is the truth but dont lie as they may contwct them to ask them!

Alright everyone thank you for all your advice, I just completed the interview at 3pm and it went well. Turns out it wasn't for Morgan sindall specifically but for MIT which is a pre apprenticeship training program. They try to get you into an apprenticeship after evaluating your skills. In the morning we did a bit of standard workshop stuff such as following a diagram then wiring a plug etc then we took 2 online English and maths assessments. Lastly we finished off with a 1 on 1 interview. Workshop was easy I was the first to finish and was able to clean my workspace and sweep the entire workshop before the second guy finished haha. I was told that they would most likely contact me within a week so I'm feeling proper chuffed :D hopefully all goes well and i can start working soon

Alright everyone thank you for all your advice, I just completed the interview at 3pm and it went well. Turns out it wasn't for Morgan sindall specifically but for MIT which is a pre apprenticeship training program. They try to get you into an apprenticeship after evaluating your skills. In the morning we did a bit of standard workshop stuff such as following a diagram then wiring a plug etc then we took 2 online English and maths assessments. Lastly we finished off with a 1 on 1 interview. Workshop was easy I was the first to finish and was able to clean my workspace and sweep the entire workshop before the second guy finished haha. I was told that they would most likely contact me within a week so I'm feeling proper chuffed :D hopefully all goes well and i can start working soon
Good for you, hope the results are in you favour

Reply to Morgan Sindall apprenticeship interview advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net