Discuss Motor control circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me draw up a circuit diagram for this, would really appreciate the help.
Need to draw a control circuit that consists of:
1. A motor to be started and continue running in forward direction by momentarily pressing push buttom SW1.
2. The same motor to be started and continue running in reverse direction by momentarily pressing push button SW2.
3. Pressing push button SW3 will stop the motor regardless of direction.
4. A thermal overload will also stop the motor regardless of direction.
5. When motor isnt rotating but the circuit is energised, a red led will illuminate.
6. When motor is rotating in forward direction, a white led will illuminate.
7. When motor is rotating in reverse direction, a blue led will illuminate.
8. Only 1 led is to be on at a time.
9. Once running, pressing the other direction push button will not cause the motor to change direction or damage the circuit.
10. Operation of rotary switch SW4 will allow SW1 to be used as a jog push button in forward only.

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me draw up a circuit diagram for this, would really appreciate the help.
Need to draw a control circuit that consists of:
1. A motor to be started and continue running in forward direction by momentarily pressing push buttom SW1.
2. The same motor to be started and continue running in reverse direction by momentarily pressing push button SW2.
3. Pressing push button SW3 will stop the motor regardless of direction.
4. A thermal overload will also stop the motor regardless of direction.
5. When motor isnt rotating but the circuit is energised, a red led will illuminate.
6. When motor is rotating in forward direction, a white led will illuminate.
7. When motor is rotating in reverse direction, a blue led will illuminate.
8. Only 1 led is to be on at a time.
9. Once running, pressing the other direction push button will not cause the motor to change direction or damage the circuit.
10. Operation of rotary switch SW4 will allow SW1 to be used as a jog push button in forward only.
Basic wiring for motor control - Technical data guide | EEP - http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/download-center/books-and-guides/electrical-engineering/basic-wiring-for-motor-control
AC Motor Control Circuits | AC Electric Circuits Worksheets - https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/ac-motor-control-circuits/
http://www.industry.usa.siemens.com...Documents/Control_Circuit_Schematics_0507.pdf

You will of course need to add wiring for
the indicators, and add a second contactor to allow for reversing purposes, shouldn't be to difficult to work out
Reversing+a+three+phse+motor - - Yahoo Image Search Results - https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjzbOENam6MAjF0nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMHJxZmlpBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ3NzZfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Reversing%2Ba%2Bthree%2Bphse%2Bmotor&fr=yhs-mozilla-102&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-102

Last edited:
Re post #1:

a. does there need to be a time delay which disables some or all of the control switches after pressing 'Stop' to allow the motor to come to rest?

b. your (9) covers when motor is in Run mode. In Jogging mode is SW2 to be disabled when SW4 selects SW1? (SW4 selects Run or Jog Forward modes).

c. do the pushes SW1, SW2 and SW3 and switch SW4 need illuminating to show when they are enabled?

d. In the event of a thermal overload what state does the controller have to enter? What must happen to leave this state?

e. You have described the operational function of the Stop button. What about separate permanent hard-wired functionality which stops/prevents start of the motor for safety reasons? What must happen when this functionality initiates stop?

Last edited:
Hi OP. Welcome to the forum.
How about you drawing up how you think it should work and we can correct or add to it.
You will learn a lot more that way, rather than us just giving you the diagram.

here you go:
a7cb3bc7f379d00abb9e57117568aa63--mad-scientist-lab-disney-cartoons.jpg

I think you're reading too much into this one Marconi. The OP is almost word for word a question from my motor controls coursework, quite clearly being farmed out for answers.

Thank you for the 'heads up'. I thought it was a real-life application.

Merry Christmas to you.

White and blue panel indicators should not be used for the forward or reverse motor running indicators, they should be green.

Blue = Reset/Standby/Mandatory operation by operator required and White = power/control on.

Hi OP. Welcome to the forum.
How about you drawing up how you think it should work and we can correct or add to it.
You will learn a lot more that way, rather than us just giving you the diagram.

Cheers spoon, heres how i think it should be, only needs control connections though no power so doesnt have to show how motor would change into reverse. How do you think i went?

Looks ok, you don't need N/C contacts for the indicator run lights, they can only be on when the C1 or C2 are on and they are interlocked so they can't be on at the same time anyway.

Whats the rectangle at the start?

Normally the red light would be triggered by the overload but you've not been asked to do that, it's a pretty crap question to be honest.

How are you latching C2 mate?

Missed that C2 needs a hold in.

Also mate, on the White & Blue LEDs, as @Rocboni has stated, you don't need the NC contacts.

Another thing, why then E-Stop button? There is no mention of this in the question.

@Jacob1995
Hi, Welcome to the forum.
If this is indeed course work which does seem to be the case given how you presented the question then we are limited with the help we can give you, we do not condone direct answers been given as this will not help you learn and also allows you to avoid the usual route of discussing it with your tutor who will then identify any areas they need to go over with you.

We do in fact have an area specifically for trainees where we have selected members who can help you and aid you but done so that you are not receiving direct answers, if this interests you then please fill out the application for the trainee forum, we will need you full details and course details so we can assess your application.

If this does not interest you then please keep in mind when posting in future that we do not allow members to do your homework/coursework for you, I see in this thread that this is not the case and you were asked to draft up a drawing for scrutiny which is acceptable as it shows you are doing the work yourself and just asking for opinions rather than how to do it.

Reply to Motor control circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net