Discuss move power sockets into stuff wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeB

Stud wall being built to contain insulation, directly adjacent to and in front of to existing external wall in a terraced house bedroom. The idea is to improve insulation in the room.
House has been rewired about two years ago.
There are two double power sockets in existing wall, metal back boxes plastered in.
No spare cable apparent to pull through.
I am thinking fit two spurs.
How best to run / fit / specify the cables and new sockets to comply, in light of the insulation and the general scenario?
Should I fit blanking plates to the existing socket boxes, as these will be hidden?

Thanks

just chop cables out and reroute through floor/ceiling to new position. I wouldn't blank plate a connection that will be covered up to extend (no access)
Obviously ensure circuit, bonding, other tests comply

pull cable out of plaster and move socket up a touch? what is depth of stud? what type of insulation solid like celotex or fury like rockwoll? what depth of insulation?

Chop them out of the wall and reroute to the new locations, then carry out full testing of the circuit, fill in the certificate and collect your cash, then go and spend in your local public house.

Thanks for the advice so far, yes, Celotex insulation, depth of stud 4 inches in old money.
Depth of insulation no more that that but the cables will be clipped to the rear of the studs /plates so as not to run them through the insulation. So no special considerations to hiding the existing sockets, thanks for that.

Thanks for the advice so far, yes, Celotex insulation, depth of stud 4 inches in old money.
Depth of insulation no more that that but the cables will be clipped to the rear of the studs /plates so as not to run them through the insulation. So no special considerations to hiding the existing sockets, thanks for that.

So long as you're not leaving cables in them making them effectively an inaccessible join!

Yup - you don't do it. Simples.

Reply to move power sockets into stuff wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net