Discuss Moving CCU more than 3m from meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a CCU on an internal garage wall that is not easily accessible. Would like to move to the opposite wall and lower, this is approx. 5m away.

Originally, I thought there was a 3m max limit but after reading other posts I see that his is not necessarily the case provided certain measures are taken.

The meter is on the external side of the wall close to the current CCU position.

Am I right in suggesting that if a fused double pole switched spur was fitted, I could then extend the meter tails?

Would this spur need to be inside the meter box or could it be near the location of the current CCU? Can I then extend with 5m(ish) lengths of 25mm cable (16mm earth) sensibly fixed along interior wall.

Would installing the switched spur be a electricity supplier task (as I'm not meant to pull the main fuse)

Thanks

A switched fuse is the way to go if ALL the run is on the surface. As for the supplier - I think you'll find the fuse isn't sealed ....

maximum length is 3 metres for the DNO. by extending the cable
you need to put a switch fuse to extend from the DNO to the new position. the switch fuses stays next to the DNO cut out .beaten by Murdoch.

I have a CCU on an internal garage wall that is not easily accessible. Would like to move to the opposite wall and lower, this is approx. 5m away.

Originally, I thought there was a 3m max limit but after reading other posts I see that his is not necessarily the case provided certain measures are taken.

The meter is on the external side of the wall close to the current CCU position.

Am I right in suggesting that if a fused double pole switched spur was fitted, I could then extend the meter tails?

Would this spur need to be inside the meter box or could it be near the location of the current CCU? Can I then extend with 5m(ish) lengths of 25mm cable (16mm earth) sensibly fixed along interior wall.

Would installing the switched spur be a electricity supplier task (as I'm not meant to pull the main fuse)

Thanks
Not with a DP switched spur you couldn't you wouldn't get 1x 25mm2 cables in a switched spur let alone 4

Switch fuse should be fitted in place of consumer unit, not in outside viewer box, that is only for meter and cut out. The distance is 3 metres, or at least it is for ENWL.

Last edited:
Switch fuse should be fitted in place of consumer unit, not in outside viewer box, that is only for meter and cut out. The distance is 3 metres, or at least it is for ENWL.

Not sure I agree with the switch fuse location. There are dno drawings around that suggest otherwise......

And where do you suggest it's placed.

Like I say, I only have experience with ENWL. If the consumer unit is being moved, then put the switch fuse where it was, unless the cu was already in the meter box, which is highly unlikely, but as stated at the start, cu on inside wall, meter on outside wall. Read the post!

Reply to Moving CCU more than 3m from meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net