Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Moving CCU more than 3m from meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Chrisknowlesuk

Chrisknowlesuk Regular EF Member

I have a CCU on an internal garage wall that is not easily accessible. Would like to move to the opposite wall and lower, this is approx. 5m away.

Originally, I thought there was a 3m max limit but after reading other posts I see that his is not necessarily the case provided certain measures are taken.

The meter is on the external side of the wall close to the current CCU position.

Am I right in suggesting that if a fused double pole switched spur was fitted, I could then extend the meter tails?

Would this spur need to be inside the meter box or could it be near the location of the current CCU? Can I then extend with 5m(ish) lengths of 25mm cable (16mm earth) sensibly fixed along interior wall.

Would installing the switched spur be a electricity supplier task (as I'm not meant to pull the main fuse)

Thanks

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

A switched fuse is the way to go if ALL the run is on the surface. As for the supplier - I think you'll find the fuse isn't sealed ....

3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

maximum length is 3 metres for the DNO. by extending the cable
    you need to put a switch fuse to extend from the DNO to the new position. the switch fuses stays next to the DNO cut out .beaten by Murdoch.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. buzzlightyear

fuse fairy been again !

5. buzzlightyear

next thing Murdoch you upload_2017-12-4_20-2-52.png say that one of these chaps been in has well.

6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

There is a book that my cousins daughter in the states brought home and when i saw it whilst on holiday in Texas last year i had to chuckle to myself... The seal fairy has books!

514deKE10iL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Not with a DP switched spur you couldn't you wouldn't get 1x 25mm2 cables in a switched spur let alone 4

8. camerabloke

camerabloke Electrician's Arms

Could always cut the cores down

9. camerabloke

camerabloke Electrician's Arms

Joke by the way before I get a roasting

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. buzzlightyear

yeah ,by kkk!

11. buzzlightyear

by the way camerabloke consideing we leaving the EU you will have to change the bell box to ukcam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1