Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Moving Ceiling Lights in Upstairs Bedrooms in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mills87

Mills87 EF Member

Hello,

I have a box room and a second bedroom where the pendant lights are located off centre towards the Windows of the respective rooms. Ideally I want these moving to the centre of the room. So was after a little advice/opinion.

As these rooms are on the first floor it is only the loft above. After a bit of exploration looking under the insulation I came to the following conclusions:

-The wiring for the box room would appear to allow the possibility of just moving the light using the existing cabling. Any problems in this? Leave slack in wiring or cut down to length?

-The one in the second bedroom would not allow this due to its placement in the circuit. What would the best plan of action be? Site a junction box at current location in loft (maintenance free?) and spur off the circuit to the centre of the room and the relocated fitting? Or is it advisable to do anything else?

I'll note here the cables are single+earth, but in the old colours.

Also for my understanding what is the general rules of running cables in ceiling/loft space? As even though most of the wires seem to run either parallel or perpendicular to the joists, in places they do take a more direct or curved path.

Cheers!

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

I take it from your question that you aren't an Electrician?

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

I moved all mine at home. They were installed like that to prevent naked silhouettes on the curtains:eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    I take it from your response that you aren't a Dielectician?

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

No mate I'm from Northampton not Cardiff

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Did the fact he's posted in the DIY section not give it away?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Deleted

9. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

When I relocated mine I shortened the cables on all bar one where the cables needed to be lengthened and I just rewired it so there were no joints. Easy in the loft.

10. Mills87

Mills87 EF Member

No I am not. Just trying to understand what my options are and the size of the job.

Cheers.

11. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Whatever you have to do it's not a big job, providing that it's not boarded over and that the insulation isn't too deep.

I say that you can run cables in a loft where you like, provided that they're not run where they're likely to be damaged. So keep them clipped away from areas which might be used for access to plumbing, boiler, or just storage.