Discuss Moving consumer unit backboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mairi

-
Reaction score
Hi,
We are doing a garage conversarion and are looking to lower the backboard which contains our electrical meter, cut-off fuse box etc. Is this is something out builder/electrician would be able to do or would we require our energy supplier to do this?
Just to clarify that we wouldn't need to move anything off the board, just the board coming down to floor level (the floor will be raised approx 1ft) although I am aware there is a minimum height of 500mm. I have attached a picture of our setup in case that helps. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Moving consumer unit backboard 20180228_083253 - EletriciansForums.net

Moving consumer unit backboard 20180228_083304 - EletriciansForums.net

You will need both your DNO and an Electrician to move the gear down. Could be quite pricey. Maybe box it in? And yes get that neutral into the isolator switch while all this is happening if you can. When you say "our builder/electrician" what do you mean?

As Voltigern says, you'll need your DNO to move the cut out down, and your electrician to move the consumer unit.
Yiou should be aware that (probably) all of the cables going to the consumer unit will cone down the wall and through the back of the CU.
This means that each and every cable in the consumer unit will need joining and extending.
the joints will need to be permanent (eg maintenance free) as I guess you are going to be covering over the existing wall area.

The builder who is doing the garage conversion has an electrician along with other tradesman that work for him. I spoke to a neighbour who had the same thing done years ago and they said their builder had to lift the backboard off the wall to insulate etc and when putting it back on the wall, moved it to gound level as opposed to half way up the wall so therefore didn't actually touch the meter, cut out etc. They have boxed it in with a radiator cover with clips securing it to the wall, therefore making it easy enough accessible.

The builder who is doing the garage conversion has an electrician along with other tradesman that work for him. I spoke to a neighbour who had the same thing done years ago and they said their builder had to lift the backboard off the wall to insulate etc and when putting it back on the wall, moved it to gound level as opposed to half way up the wall so therefore didn't actually touch the meter, cut out etc. They have boxed it in with a radiator cover with clips securing it to the wall, therefore making it easy enough accessible.

Hi mate. You are asking an electrical forum the correct way to do things. We will give you the correct answer. You need your DNO to move the board. What your neighbour did it entirely up to them.

Are you moving the alarm box as well. There looks like quite a few alarm cables going to that box.

And of course after moving the back board, with all the electrical connections - service head - meter - Henley Blocks - dodgy isolator, (not mentioning the CU) someone will check the terminations are all still tight, having been subjected to movement. :)

OP don't rely on your builder, have it done properly. Builders lay concrete & bricks. Have this done correctly & properly. The DNO will do their bit, and an electrician their bit.

Follow the advice you've sought here, and the good advice you've been given.

The incoming service cable coming up the the cut out is very stiff and thick (compared to twin and earth etc that you may find in your house). Moving the backboard with everything in situ will involve having to put some tight bends in the cable to get it to sit at floor level, and this can work the connections loose in the terminals as it will apply a lot of force to them. These loose terminals could heat up and cause overheating/fire if not tightened (which can't be done without breaking the seals).

Also there is a risk of damaging the service cable (or it coukd work loose) and it could potentially cause a short circuit. This would release a large amount of energy (Think small explosion) which would seriously injure whoever was moving it. (Whilse this is unlikely in a new cable, which you appear to have, there are some cables that are 50+ years old out there which are much less resilient)

the feed cable appears to be concentric and would move and bend easily. if i was the spark involved, i'd move the board without hesitation , just gentky bend the service cable as required. ( then again i'm 71, so ain't got thaat much life left anyway. :D:D:D

the feed cable appears to be concentric and would move and bend easily. if i was the spark involved, i'd move the board without hesitation , just gentky bend the service cable as required. ( then again i'm 71, so ain't got thaat much life left anyway. :D:D:D

Ok I might have a bash at that myself in 10 years. Then again, might just wait another 20 :)

with them stickers, has the supply fuse been pulled?

I'd love to see somebody "lower" that without intervention from the supplier..........

Thank god sense at last, agree 100%

Reply to Moving consumer unit backboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock