Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Moving Consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. AdieB

AdieB Regular EF Member

I have to move a Consumer unit approximately 6 mts. Had suggestion buy NAPIT technical to fit enclosure with terminal rail and terminals and then extend cables to new consumer unit. As the enclosure will not be readily available the terminal method would not be Maintenance Free. (If there was a problem in the future access to the enclosure could be achieved but would make a mess of decoration) Is there a Maintenance Free enclosure that will take multiple cables on the market? Or is it multiple J803 and the like. Anyone done something similar?

AdieB

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Metal enclosure, DIN rail Wago connectors, or DIN connectors

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    You have all the Qualifications needed the Adie what are they exactly?

4. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Don't think I would install such an installation in this case. I think this enclosure should always be accessible. IMO

5. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    I had to extend an installation replacing a consumer unit last week. Not quite that long, but I used Wagoboxes, installed in maintenance free mode (i.e. with required de-rating and ensuring maximum aggregate current was not breached as I used one box for a couple of circuits) in an accessible location (in the ceiling void above the CU) and documented it on the EIC for the work.

And I concur with Midwest... if it's got screws in it, it should be accessible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Midwest

Even with Wago cage clamp connectors (there're other manufacturers), the enclosure should be accessible IMO. If this is not achievable, look at other methods as SparkyChick suggested, or partial rewire of feeds to RFC, Radials etc.

Anyhow, my soufflés are in the oven, and I'm just have 5 mins before I need to prepare my Béarnaise sauce for my Chateaubriand. We having fried Mars Bar for pud. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

The OP doesn't make sense.....

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Where do you intend to fit the extension box?

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum.......

10. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    If you absolutely have to have it non accessible due to decoration and all, I would go with Pete's idea as Wago on a DIN rail will be maintenance free and the non combustible enclosure will take care of the other regulation requirement. Just make top job of it and document it well with photo on EIC.

11. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Is the supply cut-out moving with it or are you planning on tails over 6m long?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Midwest

Asked my Scheme recently, their opinion on such an enclosure as to whether it would be classified as 'similar switchgear', as described in reg 421.1.201.

''This will be the decision of the designer but it would suggest based on our guidance in this situation the enclosures and connections do not fall under 'similar switchgear''.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Good bit of buck passing by your Scheme there Middy

14. Midwest

In this case Pete, they actually committed to an answer, which was rather refreshing :) Fantastic Plastic.

15. AdieB

AdieB Regular EF Member

I am of the older generation. I have A B & C and 17th Edition City and Guilds I also have the inspection and Test certificate and have been in the electrical industry since 1973 when I did my indentured apprenticeship. I am a also registered with NAPIT.