Discuss Moving Consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks guys, in the words of everyones favourite meerkat... Simples! :)

I was over thinking it when you mentioned the enclosure @Des 56

Soldered joints, whilst they are very familiar to me as a result of my experience building public facing cash handling/ticketing machines and other electronic gizmos, they are my last resort for this sort of thing. I've only had to use one thus far where some plumb had left about 1.5" of cable sticking out the wall for an outside light with no slack and that ended up enclosed by the replacement light.

When I wrote my original comment about the heatshrink I nearly edited it to state the shrink should be adhesive lined to provide some strain relief for the joint hence my question, and I committed what turns out so often to be the cardinal sin... I assumed... in this case that the cables would be in a ceiling void or chased into a wall. And on that note, would the ceiling void constitute a suitable enclosure under 526.5 Item iii, providing the the plasterboard is BS 476-4 compliant?

And on that note, would the ceiling void constitute a suitable enclosure under 526.5 Item iii

Not being a legal eagle,its never easy to put a definitive interpretation of the regulations that is agreed by all

With the ceiling void,my own belief is "no it is not an enclosure" in the electrical connection sense,but it is an enclosure perhaps in the fire safety world

My reason for not considering the ceiling an enclosure is that someone can access the void with no intention or expectation of it containing unprotected cables,an example being the connector blocks and tape used for fancy light fittings
With that I rest my case your honour

Agree. For me it's not an electrical enclosure if it doesn't look like an enclosure ( e.g. roof space) and or you can access it without a tool (e.g. plastic food container ... yep seen takeaway food box repurposed once, well it was near the kitchen to be fair :) ).

Not being a legal eagle,its never easy to put a definitive interpretation of the regulations that is agreed by all

That is so true.

My reason for not considering the ceiling an enclosure is that someone can access the void with no intention or expectation of it containing unprotected cables,an example being the connector blocks and tape used for fancy light fittings
With that I rest my case your honour

And there I guess is the issue in this particular example... what constitutes unprotected? I would have said, soldered joint, with adhesive lined shrink over individual cores and then an overall adhesive shrink encasing the basic insulation and inner shrink, extending by say 0.5" over the outer sheath would constitute 'protected'.

As for the terminal blocks wrapped in PVC for fancy lights... I totally agree, not enclosed. The best (or worst, depending on which way you look at it) example I've encountered was actually at home, where some plum had installed an electric shower by stripping the insulation off the cooker feed and had simply wrapped the shower cable around the cores with a liberal application of tape. I had no clue it was there and was feeling around in the floor space trying to locate the junction box, because it never crossed my mind that anyone would have been so stupid... didn't get me, but taught me a valuable lesson none the less. Always look before you feel ;)

That is so true.

And there I guess is the issue in this particular example... what constitutes unprotected? I would have said, soldered joint, with adhesive lined shrink over individual cores and then an overall adhesive shrink encasing the basic insulation and inner shrink, extending by say 0.5" over the outer sheath would constitute 'protected'.
;)

Yes,to me the above example would give the impression of being well insulated, :thumbsup: but here is the however

It seems that a cable that has had the insulation removed,the new insulation should provide at least the the same degree of protection as the original,can we guarantee that is so with our own efforts :)

Always look before you feel ;)
My wife tells me that

My 20p on heat shrink is it's a good start, but it's not same standard as the original cable so needs additional containment / protection. Just my opinion:)

Yes,to me the above example would give the impression of being well insulated, :thumbsup: but here is the however

It seems that a cable that has had the insulation removed,the new insulation should provide at least the the same degree of protection as the original,can we guarantee that is so with our own efforts :)

Nicely explained guys and thanks for entertaining my questioning :) Much appreciated.

Reply to Moving Consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock