Discuss Moving CU - what cert'ing is required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Bro needs to have his CU moved (and replaced as it's an oldie) by around a metre as he's having a wall section taken down where the current sunken CU is installed. He's had a couple of sparkies out to quote and one says he'd need to test all the circuits before he reconnects them to the new CU, so suggested he have this testing done beforehand as it would highlight any issues that would need extra work before he moves the CU.

The other sparkie says that certification ain't needed for a CU replacement; if the circuits are currently working ok, it'll make no difference when they're moved to the new CU - in fact the new CU should, if anything, add an extra level of protection.

Needless to say, bro is liking the sound of the second sparkie since the first guy quoted nearly £400 just for the testing (this is a one bedroom flat with only 4 MCBs), so this almost doubled the whole cost.

What's the correct situation regarding certification?

Another job bro wants doing is to have his old R80 ceiling lights replaced with LED equivalents and, to give the 2nd sparkie (no CU cert guy) some credibility, he pointed out that one ceiling light in the bathroom was too close to the bath/shower and if my bro wanted this replaced with an IP unit (as he should), he would provide certification for this. Ie - he's not avoiding certification, only carrying it out where it's technically required.

Thoughts, please? Thanks.

An EIC minimum ... and if it’s an older style cu then replacing it is probably worth considering, then part p certificate is required too

Anyone saying a certificate isn’t required is not to be trusted imho

Get more quotes and I would say a rcbo board should be installed.

for the CU replacement, a cert. (EIC) is required. some testing should be carried out prior to fitting, but £400 is a pi$$take. i would estimate £300 -£400 all in as long as there were no issues that needed attention.

Yes the work needs inspecting and testing once completed and an electrical installation certificate to be issued.

There is no regulatory requirement to carry out a condition report (EICR) or other testing before starting the job, however any sensible electrician will carry out some testing beforehand to ensure that they won’t run in to any problems when the new CU is fitted and energised.

He's had a couple of sparkies out to quote and one says he'd need to test all the circuits before he reconnects them to the new CU, so suggested he have this testing
The other sparkie says that certification ain't needed for a CU replacement; if the circuits are currently working ok
or you could go down the pub and get Charlie p** head to quote you .

Another job bro wants doing is to have his old R80 ceiling lights replaced with LED equivalents and, to give the 2nd sparkie (no CU cert guy) some credibility, he pointed out that one ceiling light in the bathroom was too close to the bath/shower and if my bro wanted this replaced with an IP unit (as he should), he would provide certification for this.
would you trust a butcher to take you car engine out and put it back !

for the CU replacement, a cert. (EIC) is required. some testing should be carried out prior to fitting, but £400 is a pi$$take. i would estimate £300 -£400 all in as long as there were no issues that needed attention.

Yeah but you've knocked off the CU bits from someone else, so us can't compete with the 300 quid thing.

Yeah but you've knocked off the CU bits from someone else, so us can't compete with the 300 quid thing.
Funny that.. tidied the van today and i got enough surplus breakers from pre loaded boards on other jobs, a couple of rcds and main switches from other jobs that i only need a metal enclosure and i got me some ready to go CU's, will bring the price down on my quotes...

Did the same last week, 1 bed flat, pre-test, move cu (easy move) and joint cables, certify and notify. 4 x rcbo cu. £425

I'm kinda detecting some consensus on here...

Thanks, gents - points noted.

I'll pass on the info to my bro that a test cert and notification to the LABC is required.

That's sounds very reasonable, mhar, but bro is in London and that usually means double or more :oops:

I did my own myself, and it didn't cost me anything lol, but legally you will need a certificate and part p notification, what is happening about the meter seals?

Reply to Moving CU - what cert'ing is required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock