Discuss Moving from Domestic to Industrial in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Come on Terminal 4 doesn't look "that" bad.........
i think i seen a drawing once whilst i was at the distillery, quick walk round with supervisor at start of week, what annoyed me was when i first started he pointed to a brick and said "drill here", i drilled there and then he decides it doesnt look right, so we opt for where i was originally going to take my hole out, that said the only thing i found different about industrial work was the containment and type of cables, bit more manual intensive, i eventually got put into the switchrooms, suited me fine, smoking tabbies and glanding up 140 odd 2.5 swa/FP

Swicthrooms, I remember building them especially the hydraulic ones, the mains risers where always fun.

I always enjoyed PYRO though, but I am a strange one......

The skills you require cannot be had from any C&G course, you will have to learn them from others at the coal face.

The same would apply for an 'industrial' spark knocking plastered walls about. I wouldn't make a penny doing houses. I'd take 3 times longer then you would to rewire a house.
Lee I agree with your sentiments, but whatever happened to the term "ELECTRICIAN" electricians should be able to do all 3 of the so called competencies or they did when I was an Apprentice, sorry it is the 21st century I forgot, easy come easy train to be whatever you want as long as you attend the right course.:D:rolleyes::po_O:mad:, not having a dig at you mate just venting my frustration.

Lee I agree with your sentiments, but whatever happened to the term "ELECTRICIAN" electricians should be able to do all 3 of the so called competencies or they did when I was an Apprentice, sorry it is the 21st century I forgot, easy come easy train to be whatever you want as long as you attend the right course.:D:rolleyes::po_O:mad:, not having a dig at you mate just venting my frustration.
The OP was talking 12 months back, Pete.....might be an expert in all 3, by now.:)

I'm a offshore electrical technician and when it comes to house bashing I am not very confident , terminating cables is easy but routing cables and keeping it all the the regs is another thing.
It's all about experience mate. Find another sparky who is more industrial and try and get some time under his wing and he would be able to show you the ropes.
I'm going to spend my time off the vessels working with a mate who is a domestic spark, hopefully will be able to learn the domestic side of electrics

Reply to Moving from Domestic to Industrial in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net