Discuss MR DNO Palava in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RomRobi

Hi guys,

I am carrying out a full install to one(top) of two flats from a converted house. Originally the house had only one incoming service head (single phase)to the property, but the new landlord decided to contact the DNO about upgrading the incoming service possibly from a 3 phase to one phase for each flat.

DNO claim new top flat lanlord will be responsible for putting the ducting in the ground for the new 3P incoming cable and also responsible for make sure the ground floor has new tails connected ready for connection by the supplier. He also states that he was responsible for the standard of installation of the ground floor flat, must be up to PME standard and proven with a test certificate before power can be re-connected.

Ground floor flat landlord has been a pain in the butt and not wanting to co-operate, as we understand, his electrics is a mess and trying to avoid any cost of having to contribute to the upgrade. As I am new to this kind of scenerio, I was wondering if there is any form of advise I can gain from this. Top flat landlord is a mate, and will be forking out £3,500.00 for new incoming, and I think to be responsible for the soundness of ground floor installation which he has no business with, was not expected.

Any comments will be surely, appreciated. :hippy:

Who owns the building, your mate (I'm taking it as the DNO are saying its his responsibility)

Without seeing the head lease (or more info) its tricky to say, usually the head lease specifies how costs should be apportioned (usually an equal split between each flat if of similar size). Further, (usually) only the ultimate owner can authorise those kind of works

Last edited by a moderator:
As you also mention only the freeholder can authorise this kind of work, but he has already given permission for work to be carried out, but can't be bothered in sharing the cost, which I think is not right. Maybe there is a way to resolve this matter with DNO, as they have threatened with aborted work which can carry a charge.

As i said the devil is in the lease, the freeholder would probably say its a pointless job as (presumably) the existing supply is adequate but if your mate wants to do it he can but has to bear all the cost (which would be within his rights)

Why does your mate want it done?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned earlier the original supply had one fuse head for the whole house before before being converted, and the DNO said in order to provide supply to both flats, the incoming service will have to be upgraded, probably the old incoming cable was inadequate to supply both flats.

Reply to MR DNO Palava in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net