Discuss multi circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Geffers

HI people, doing a CU change & there are a couple of circuits using the same mcb (for example a lighting circuit & an outside light wired into a 6a mcb & 1 x socket sharing an mcb with the central heating) As the job does not cover me doing anything but the change & as there are no spareways on the cu do i have to leave it as it is & just do the change? should i put it on the EIC? or can i suggest we uprate the mcb? Any reply would be helpful.

As long as you test all the circuits and mark up the dis-board and it corresponds with the test sheet/schedule then that's all you can do.

HI people, doing a CU change & there are a couple of circuits using the same mcb (for example a lighting circuit & an outside light wired into a 6a mcb & 1 x socket sharing an mcb with the central heating) As the job does not cover me doing anything but the change & as there are no spareways on the cu do i have to leave it as it is & just do the change? should i put it on the EIC? or can i suggest we uprate the mcb? Any reply would be helpful.

What rating is the mcb feeding the socket sharing with the CH and what size is the CH cable? And is it fused futher downstream? (I'm assuming the CH is drawing less than 3A)

As suggested by Johnny-G why not larger CU?

And what do you mean by - "As the job does not cover me doing anything but the change"?

Last edited:
A lot of the "why questions here".
Why the CU change
Not enough ways in the CU- why
Job does not cover you.... why.

Geffers a little more help please.

what happens when you find the rcd/s is tripping. if the job doesn't cover you for extra work, are you going to leave it?

I will try to answer all "whys"
1-when i first looked at the job i assumed 2 x cables into a 32a mcb labeled downstairs sockets was a ring & in fact it turned out to be 2 x radials & the same has been done for the upstairs. thus the reason that there is not enough spare ways if i have to put each one separate on a 20amp mcb.
2-the mcb sharing with socket & ch is 20amp & it is fused at 3a further down (the ch)
3-the job is not covered to run cables & turn them into ring circuits. (carpets, flooring etc)
4- i have allowed time for fault tripping .
so although the cu was big enough originally with a spare way included - but if i have to separate each circuit it will not be.
so back to my original question can i have 2 x radials on the same circuit & if so should i change the mcb from 32a to 20a?
ps good replies so far!

get a bigger board. at the end of the day, it's your name on the cert. better to pay for say 4 MCBs at £3 each . radial 2.5mm 20A MCB or less.

Reply to multi circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock