Discuss Multicore cable voltages in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Wiring RF thermostat receivers to valiant boilers...

We have been using standard 0.75mm 5 Core flex, from the receiver to the boiler (reference method B). Obviously the flex is carrying L-N-E at 230v and also two switch wires ‘boiler on’ ‘boiler off’ at 24v. However someone has made a comment on carrying band 1 and band 2 in the same cable, saying it’s not allowed. All conductors are insulated to 230v and the regs are like blurred lines.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Not sure about 1 & 2 in the same cable, but I think you could cause problems with induced voltages on the extra low voltage cables.

Wiring RF thermostat receivers to valiant boilers...

We have been using standard 0.75mm 5 Core flex, from the receiver to the boiler (reference method B). Obviously the flex is carrying L-N-E at 230v and also two switch wires ‘boiler on’ ‘boiler off’ at 24v. However someone has made a comment on carrying band 1 and band 2 in the same cable, saying it’s not allowed. All conductors are insulated to 230v and the regs are like blurred lines.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Your setup complies with reg 528.1 (ii), so it is allowed.
As above, Induced voltage may be a problem.

upload_2019-2-13_7-25-29.png

No issues as long as the insulation of the conductors is rated at or greater than the maximum voltage it will be used with.

Induced voltage shouldn't be an issue here, as the 24V can be seen as a digital signal, either on or off. This depends on the impedance of the input to switch the boiler. Does it trigger a relay or is it to an input on a circuit board?

No issues as long as the insulation of the conductors is rated at or greater than the maximum voltage it will be used with.

Induced voltage shouldn't be an issue here, as the 24V can be seen as a digital signal, either on or off. This depends on the impedance of the input to switch the boiler. Does it trigger a relay or is it to an input on a circuit board?
The connection is a 24v RT terminal on the boiler circuit board. The Switching is done within the receiver.

Reply to Multicore cable voltages in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net