Discuss Multifunction tester for £40 new? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is there no end to the supply of poor alternatives to proper testing with proper test kit ? Kewtech Loopcheck107 Mains Socket Loop RCD and Polarity tester. With an adapter (supplied separately) lighting points can also be tested?

fine for a quick check. useful to trip a RCD when changing a socket front without stressing the legs walking. not a substitute for "official" testing, but a useful tool. I have the fluke equivalent.

I have that exact Kewtech model. As @telectrix says, great for a quick check and tripping RCDs remotely.

I've found issues with it when identifying which sockets are connected to which circuit, turn one off, run round plug it in.... oooh... this is not the socket you're looking for ;) but there is no earth on it... lets investigate that as a matter of urgency.

How do you reset the RCD without the stressful walking?:)

Ensure the customer has asked you if you want a cuppa before you turn the power off, but refuse at the first instance. They normally tell you to give 'em a shout when you want one.

"Mrs. Jones... I'd love that cuppa now please... you might have to turn the power back on though"

:D

I have that exact Kewtech model. As @telectrix says, great for a quick check and tripping RCDs remotely.

I've found issues with it when identifying which sockets are connected to which circuit, turn one off, run round plug it in.... oooh... this is not the socket you're looking for ;) but there is no earth on it... lets investigate that as a matter of urgency.

Problem with these plug in devices is they can't detect a neutral / earth swap which is very dangerous

Ensure the customer has asked you if you want a cuppa before you turn the power off, but refuse at the first instance. They normally tell you to give 'em a shout when you want one.

"Mrs. Jones... I'd love that cuppa now please... you might have to turn the power back on though"

My Mrs Jones can't reach the CU so that's that buggered right away SC

Problem with these plug in devices is they can't detect a neutral / earth swap which is very dangerous
that's why we have RCDs. plug in a hoover N-E swap detector. RCD trips, then as long as said hoover does not have an inherent fault, you have a N-E reversal. ( henrys will perfom just as well, but i used hoover as an example as almost everbody refers to any make of vacuum cleaner as a hoover. :D:D:D.).

Good point, I usually say if you were wanting to boil your kettle now would be good cause I'll need to turn off the power soon. "Oh, would you like a cuppa ?" Thanks very much!

that's why we have RCDs. plug in a hoover N-E swap detector. RCD trips, then as long as said hoover does not have an inherent fault, you have a N-E reversal. ( henrys will perfom just as well, but i used hoover as an example as almost everbody refers to any make of vacuum cleaner as a hoover. :D:D:D.).
Mmmmm you're assuming that every installation has RCD protection

Of course, in some homes I wouldn't even want a glass of water.

I've been offered everything from a spliff to serious affection from the lady of the house

But as has already been said... they are not a serious piece of test equipment. I use mine for functional testing at the end of a job, tripping RCDs, giving a quick indication of the state of earthing (the very basic loop test capability) and for identifying circuits (the audible beep).

I don't trust the results... they are just indicative and as I say, using one has highlighted potentially dangerous situations on circuits I wasn't even planning on working on.

using one has highlighted potentially dangerous situations on circuits I wasn't even planning on working on.
Thats the worst thing to discover, you have gone to change a socket or put a pendant up and find the install as a pile of crap.. Its hard to explain to the customer that actually you need to charge more and do some other bits. they think of you as a con artist.

if i wanted to be a con artist, i'd take advice from customers. they are the biggest conners going.

Reply to Multifunction tester for £40 new? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock