Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Alex W

Alex W EF Member

Hey, this might seem like a silly question but I am only a trainee so please bear with me.

I've been looking at purchasing a multifunction tester, more specifically a megger 1741. The thought hit me, would if be worth waiting until after the release of the 18th edition? Im a little worried that a new megger purchased now might not be able to carry out all the tests required in the 18th. Am I just being over wary or would it be worthwhile waiting?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    the 1741 will be ideal, but why not contact test-meter, a forum sponsor, who can advise better than any on testers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Unless the 18th edition comes up with some new super testing that existing testers can't do delaying your purchase isn't likely to impact you.

As tel say contact test meter, and don't skimp on what you buy - if looked after, the device should last for a very long time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alex W

Alex W EF Member

I spoke to them last Friday for a quote, in hindsight I probably should have asked them then, though in all honestly I was more focused on seeing if they would do me a discount :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

has JIM BOWEN use to say why not.

6. Dannyg8810

Dannyg8810 Electrician's Arms

I’m going test meter today to pick up my mft and my mug and Yorkshire tea bag il ask while I’m there

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Dannyg8810

Spoke with them this morning and they won’t know until January but any MFT should still be fine for 18th

8. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Just as 16th edition testers were fine for the 17th!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alex W

Alex W EF Member

Yeah I though it should be fine, but saw no harm in asking.

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate the feedback

10. trypod

trypod Regular EF Member

An update on the firmware should sort out any issues just like the problems with the first 1700 series

11. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

If the 18th draft changes the 'may be' to 'shall be' for Arc fault detection device, you might need a new shiny tester for that. Only joking :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. Test-Meter

Test-Meter Sponsor

Hi guys - 18th won't change the test features offered by what are currently marketed at '17th' testers, other than product descriptions on the website, wholesalers, magazines etc.

One thing to bear in mind is any earth testing requirements that you may have in the future with the proposed changes - some MFTs have the ability to conduct earth tests using spikes and long leads.

If you don't choose a tester that offers this function, you might need to consider buying/hiring a separate standalone tester when the need arises.

MFT1741 does include this option, as does the 1731.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Test-Meter

Test-Meter Sponsor

And thank you all for the recommendations - much appreciated as ever. Hope we sorted you with a brew Danny!

14. Midwest

Thanks Danny for the update. I purchased my 1730 with the spike kit 4 years ago. Don't do much TT stuff, and as yet never had to install a rod - some of the existing installs I have done, have been terraced properties front door straight onto the street. Good luck with replacing the rod on those!

We shall have to see how the draft pans out, but whilst in my wholesalers today, looking for a new MET, I was shown the shelves for earthing 'stuff'. Bottom rack had a bunch or various earth rods, I commented 'best order some more in, you can make a killing!'.

15. Dannyg8810

Yes got my 2nd test meter mug and complimentary Yorkshire tea bag thank you great service as usual !

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. sevuk

sevuk Regular EF Member

For most things I don't know why the MFT1711 wouldn't be more than adequate. It's essentially sold as a domestic tester, but it'll do the main bulk of any commercial task.

If you need a special test you can always buy another unit. Like an earth electrode tester, or rcd tester with more features.Do you really need to be carrying around £1000 off test equipment in one unit?

17. Test-Meter

Test-Meter Sponsor

Hi sevuk, I sent this to you as a PM by mistake when I meant for it to be on this thread - please disregards the PM I sent in error!

MFT1711 is a good option for those who mainly test single phase installations (domestic installers and testers), but doesn't offer line to line testing or phase rotation testing - required for testing multi-phase circuits found within many commercial and industrial installations.

It's completely personal preference, but most nowadays (in my experience) prefer having a single unit. A standalone earth tester is around £150-200, Type B (DC/high frequency) RCD tester another £300-350 - both options included in the 1731 and 1741 for around £350 over the MFT1711.

Why spend more on separate instruments in the first place, store separate instruments and then pay more to have them all individually calibrated?

18. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Stop spamming the forum...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. sevuk

sevuk Regular EF Member

You can do everything except earth electrode testing with a 1711, and a voltage tester with a phase rotation function.

The mft 1741 might do a nice l1 l2 l3 display when the rotation is correct but it wouldn't know any different if it was l3 l2 l1.

Line to line testing for pfc is calculated anyway.

Saying that I bought one anyway....
    Mostly because it claims to have a new algorithm for low current loop tests. Can't comment on that yet though. It's also nice to be able to test electrodes, though I won't often have to do it.

20. Midwest

You might if that 18th madness comes into being. I have a 1730, that come with the test kit, to find a good place to locate an earth rod. Never used it, but guess I might have to next year. Just wondering how you use them on terraced properties, with no front garden!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

My local town has rows and rows of them straight onto the pavements.
    Services everywhere. It will be fun.

• Like Like x 2
  22. sevuk

sevuk Regular EF Member

Another consideration for getting the top end megger, I don't like to be surprised, so I'd rather have all the gear and no idea haha.

23. Midwest

I often wonder what you do in circumstance like these, tin & safety gloves?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  24. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

Some are TNS , but the vast majority were TT converted to PME.
    The TT ones usually had the rod under the floorboards, the ones that had them next to the outside wall had the copper tails nicked when the price went high , it will be beano day for the thieves.
    As for the method; look for the toby's' manholes and gas entries into building. Then take great care lol.
    I doubt there will be any meaningful records.

25. Midwest

Yep that is a daunting thought.

I did work on one terraced house, TT'd, which had an issue with the service head. I was chatting to the DNO engineer, about converting to PME. He said unlikely, as the feeds were clipped along the terraced houses, popping in & out of them. So ok if they were all converted, but who's gonna pay for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

Yes , a lot of them are eaves fed through the lofts here fed from an end of street gable on different phases.
    I worked on one next to the main road that was upgraded from under the footpath from the lead sheath. That would cost a fortune as you say.