Discuss Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alex W

-
Reaction score
Hey, this might seem like a silly question but I am only a trainee so please bear with me.

I've been looking at purchasing a multifunction tester, more specifically a megger 1741. The thought hit me, would if be worth waiting until after the release of the 18th edition? Im a little worried that a new megger purchased now might not be able to carry out all the tests required in the 18th. Am I just being over wary or would it be worthwhile waiting?

Unless the 18th edition comes up with some new super testing that existing testers can't do delaying your purchase isn't likely to impact you.

As tel say contact test meter, and don't skimp on what you buy - if looked after, the device should last for a very long time

Hi guys - 18th won't change the test features offered by what are currently marketed at '17th' testers, other than product descriptions on the website, wholesalers, magazines etc.

One thing to bear in mind is any earth testing requirements that you may have in the future with the proposed changes - some MFTs have the ability to conduct earth tests using spikes and long leads.

If you don't choose a tester that offers this function, you might need to consider buying/hiring a separate standalone tester when the need arises.

MFT1741 does include this option, as does the 1731.

Thanks Danny for the update. I purchased my 1730 with the spike kit 4 years ago. Don't do much TT stuff, and as yet never had to install a rod - some of the existing installs I have done, have been terraced properties front door straight onto the street. Good luck with replacing the rod on those!

We shall have to see how the draft pans out, but whilst in my wholesalers today, looking for a new MET, I was shown the shelves for earthing 'stuff'. Bottom rack had a bunch or various earth rods, I commented 'best order some more in, you can make a killing!'.

For most things I don't know why the MFT1711 wouldn't be more than adequate. It's essentially sold as a domestic tester, but it'll do the main bulk of any commercial task.

If you need a special test you can always buy another unit. Like an earth electrode tester, or rcd tester with more features.Do you really need to be carrying around £1000 off test equipment in one unit?

For most things I don't know why the MFT1711 wouldn't be more than adequate. It's essentially sold as a domestic tester, but it'll do the main bulk of any commercial task.

If you need a special test you can always buy another unit. Like an earth electrode tester, or rcd tester with more features.Do you really need to be carrying around £1000 off test equipment in one unit?

Hi sevuk, I sent this to you as a PM by mistake when I meant for it to be on this thread - please disregards the PM I sent in error!

MFT1711 is a good option for those who mainly test single phase installations (domestic installers and testers), but doesn't offer line to line testing or phase rotation testing - required for testing multi-phase circuits found within many commercial and industrial installations.

It's completely personal preference, but most nowadays (in my experience) prefer having a single unit. A standalone earth tester is around £150-200, Type B (DC/high frequency) RCD tester another £300-350 - both options included in the 1731 and 1741 for around £350 over the MFT1711.

Why spend more on separate instruments in the first place, store separate instruments and then pay more to have them all individually calibrated?

18th edition multitesters are available at much cheaper rates but you need to look towards other country. Zotektools provides multitester at cheaper rates but you need to order them in wholesale.
Stop spamming the forum...

You can do everything except earth electrode testing with a 1711, and a voltage tester with a phase rotation function.

The mft 1741 might do a nice l1 l2 l3 display when the rotation is correct but it wouldn't know any different if it was l3 l2 l1.

Line to line testing for pfc is calculated anyway.

Saying that I bought one anyway....
Mostly because it claims to have a new algorithm for low current loop tests. Can't comment on that yet though. It's also nice to be able to test electrodes, though I won't often have to do it.

It's also nice to be able to test electrodes, though I won't often have to do it.

You might if that 18th madness comes into being. I have a 1730, that come with the test kit, to find a good place to locate an earth rod. Never used it, but guess I might have to next year. Just wondering how you use them on terraced properties, with no front garden!

Reply to Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net