Discuss Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

You might if that 18th madness comes into being. I have a 1730, that come with the test kit, to find a good place to locate an earth rod. Never used it, but guess I might have to next year. Just wondering how you use them on terraced properties, with no front garden!
Another consideration for getting the top end megger, I don't like to be surprised, so I'd rather have all the gear and no idea haha.

Some are TNS , but the vast majority were TT converted to PME.
The TT ones usually had the rod under the floorboards, the ones that had them next to the outside wall had the copper tails nicked when the price went high , it will be beano day for the thieves.
As for the method; look for the toby's' manholes and gas entries into building. Then take great care lol.
I doubt there will be any meaningful records.

Some are TNS , but the vast majority were TT converted to PME.
The TT ones usually had the rod under the floorboards, the ones that had them next to the outside wall had the copper tails nicked when the price went high , it will be beano day for the thieves.
As for the method; look for the toby's' manholes and gas entries into building. Then take great care lol.
I doubt there will be any meaningful records.

Yep that is a daunting thought.

I did work on one terraced house, TT'd, which had an issue with the service head. I was chatting to the DNO engineer, about converting to PME. He said unlikely, as the feeds were clipped along the terraced houses, popping in & out of them. So ok if they were all converted, but who's gonna pay for that.

Yes , a lot of them are eaves fed through the lofts here fed from an end of street gable on different phases.
I worked on one next to the main road that was upgraded from under the footpath from the lead sheath. That would cost a fortune as you say.

The mft 1741 might do a nice l1 l2 l3 display when the rotation is correct but it wouldn't know any different if it was l3 l2 l1.
Please explain what you mean, I don't follow what you're saying.
If the rotation is anticlockwise, it displays "L2, L1, L3" within the lower segments of the voltage reading, as opposed to "L1, L2, L3" within the top segments.

Please explain what you mean, I don't follow what you're saying.
If the rotation is anticlockwise, it displays "L2, L1, L3" within the lower segments of the voltage reading, as opposed to "L1, L2, L3" within the top segments.

Yeah I messed up l3 l2 l1 is backwards. Thanks for pointing that out. I meant to put L3 L1 L2.

What I mean is it doesn't do phase angles so the display of L1 L2 L3 only tells you the rotation is correct. But the rotation could still be correct if it was out of sequence. For example L3 L1 L2 would still be clockwise and the tester wouldn't know any different, the motor will still work the same anyway, so it's good enough.

I was just making the point that it works no different to the phase rotation indicator you might have on your voltage tester. With a mistake in my explanation, whoops.

Are the any examples where the angle is relevant? The only scenario I can think of would be in synchronisation of two DNO supplies from separate transformers. In all other cases, if, for example, L2 from the DNO was erroneously wired to L1 at the incomer (and likewise L3 to L2 and L1 to L3), no one will ever be the wiser.

Are the any examples where the angle is relevant? The only scenario I can think of would be in synchronisation of two DNO supplies from separate transformers. In all other cases, if, for example, L2 from the DNO was erroneously wired to L1 at the incomer (and likewise L3 to L2 and L1 to L3), no one will ever be the wiser.

As electricians I can't see why we would be expected to pick that up, and we'd need some very expensive equipment. As long as the rotation is correct, we won't have any motors running backwards unintentionally.

Reply to Multifunction Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net