Discuss Multimeter showing reading when nothing is plugged in in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I want to talk about the context to this first, I'm in my first year at college studying level 2 electrical installation and for Christmas my family got me a toolkit which had some tools , multimeter and a soldering iron. They didn't really know much about things like that and they wanted it to be a surprise so the quality isn't so good, here is the exact tool kit: ZD-961_Tool Kit_Products_Ningbo Zhongdi Industry & Trade Co., Ltd. - http://www.china-zhongdi.com/product/291.html

Okay so I was messing around with the multimeter, turned it to AC voltage, and measured a socket to see if it works. It did, came up with 233v. Then I wanted to measure the amps in the socket, so I changed it to the 10A max , put the test leads inside and theres a big flash , big boom and black around the black test lead and the socket.
I then look at the multimeter, switch it to "20 DC voltage"and it shows a reading although nothing is plugged in , same for "AC volatage" and "Amps" so far the ohms setting is normal.

Now I think what I did wrong, the AMPS had a DC symbol next to and I tried to measure AC or/and the socket is over 10A.

Is there a way to fix my multimeter, or am I better off getting a new one?

I want to talk about the context to this first, I'm in my first year at college studying level 2 electrical installation and for Christmas my family got me a toolkit which had some tools , multimeter and a soldering iron. They didn't really know much about things like that and they wanted it to be a surprise so the quality isn't so good, here is the exact tool kit: ZD-961_Tool Kit_Products_Ningbo Zhongdi Industry & Trade Co., Ltd. - http://www.china-zhongdi.com/product/291.html

Okay so I was messing around with the multimeter, turned it to AC voltage, and measured a socket to see if it works. It did, came up with 233v. Then I wanted to measure the amps in the socket, so I changed it to the 10A max , put the test leads inside and theres a big flash , big boom and black around the black test lead and the socket.
I then look at the multimeter, switch it to "20 DC voltage"and it shows a reading although nothing is plugged in , same for "AC volatage" and "Amps" so far the ohms setting is normal.

Now I think what I did wrong, the AMPS had a DC symbol next to and I tried to measure AC or/and the socket is over 10A.

Lucky you didn't you didn't electrcute yourself tbh. Those meter are very cheap and certainly not rated for dealing with mains voltages, there barely worth bothering for Low voltage stuff

There CAT rating won't be good enough for dealing with mains voltages, the probe won't meet relevant standards either.

You also need to learn how to use multimeter properly you need to measure current in series with a load. When you've tries to tried to measure across the socket you've in effect shorted live and neutral hench the bang. A decent quality meter would have just blown it's fuse but as you've got a crappy meter it's fried.

When you measure voltage with a multimeter, the input resistance of the meter is very high - of the order of 1M ohm or more to avoid loading the circuit and causing voltage drop so you get an accurate measurement of the voltage as it would be without your meter connected. This means that a very small current flows and you don't get a big flash and bang when connecting across L and N or L and E.

When measuring current, the input resistance of the multimeter is very low - typically less than 1 ohm so you get an accurate reading of the current flowing in the circuit as it would be without your meter connected. Connect this across L and N (or E) on a typical 240v socket circuit and you will get a massive current flowing that will blow the fuse in the multimeter or, as it sounds in your case, will fry the multimeter.

As @StephenRowley said, you need to measure the current with a load connected and the multimeter in series with load.

At some point on your course you may cover test instruments and how to use them - I would hold off on any experiments at home until you have covered this and are happy with how to work safely.

Last edited:
This will defiantly be taught within your level 2 where series circuits having the same current and parallel circuits having same voltage and which instrument is used to measure.

In fact it will more then likely come up in your exam

With all due respect to the OP's family, I would put that lot straight in the bin!
At the very least never use it!

I started out as a first year apprentice with a similar cheap multimeter as well, at least mine lasted a few weeks, me and the other apprentice at the time mistakenly set the voltage to DC and tried to test 230v AC. I actually forgot about this until I read your thread.

I hope the soldering iron and precision jeweler's screwdrivers last longer

You will maybe need to learn how to use test meters before dabbling again.

Klaud it might be worth your while joining the trainee section of this forum

I believe a lot of moderators and members have joined up as mentors. They will help apprentices with mundane problems such as this.

@Klaudmjj
With respect to whoever gave you the kit. Thank them but (as you'll see from the title) it is meant for electronics and not electrical installation work.

There is very little in the kit that you could use in your work. Even the cutters will not be insulated to a correct level, the screwdrivers might be OK for watch adjustment, but they, and everything else must be VDE-approved or you are going to zap yourself.

Sorry

Hi Klaud, and welcome, the tool kit someone has kindly bought you, is not really designed for Electrical installation work, more for an electronic hobbyist.
You would be best advised to speak to the Tutors on your course for advice on what tools someone at your stage of learning will require, there are bespoke tool kits you can but , but do come at some cost, best to build your tool kit up as you go, don't be impatient, and ask for inclusion in the Trainee area, there will others like you just starting out, look at the for sale area, or ebay for bargains, there are some offers to be had, good luck and don't get downhearted, by the simple mistake, learn by it, something like that you wont forget, believe I know, I could do you a deal on my tools, but I'm a tool tart and nobody is having those beauties, not even my Son, at least not until I'm rewiring a crematorium, as I go to meet my maker.

and everything else must be VDE-approved or you are going to zap yourself.
Just to be pedantic, if safe isolation is carried out do we need to use insulated tooling?
And if they need to be insulated shouldn't they be to BS EN IEC 60900 rather than an other countries specific VDE?

Reply to Multimeter showing reading when nothing is plugged in in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock