Discuss Multiple 3 phase motors fed via a JB supplied with a 27 core SWA in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rob Taylor

Looking into a site today, just changing an isolator, i found multiple motors are supplied via a 27 core SWA cable.
The motors are only 1-3kw and are supplied as follows...
Main panel ---(27core SWA)----JB----(7core SWA)----Motor
The 7 core includes an isolator signal for control purposes.

I was just wondering how you would go about cable sizing, this was done in 27 x 2.5mm.
Is there anywhere that you can find out 27core correction factor for SWA, or is it a contact supplier job.

Some of the wires will pull minimal amps and others for phase etc will obviously have a significant load, but just wondered how people would work out there cable size.

I've been shadowing a sparks for a couple of years, done a sh*t, waste of time, domestic course, got my 2394 & 2395, although I still need LOTS more experience in periodics to carry them out on my own!!
Never come across this before and chap I'm with wasn't really interested.

New to the site, so sorry if this is in the wrong group etc!

The manufacturers will give you a current rating based on a 2 core cable, you then have to allow for grouping factor the same way you would if using singles in conduit for the same circuits.

If the current is less than a third of 100% of rated current then grouping factors won't apply. Also, the grouping factors stated in the bgb only apply to cables pulling full whack constantly. if the loads are off and on, or some are staggered, this also needs to be taken into account. I'd be surprised if you'd need to apply a grouping factor at all, and even if you did, it would most likely be minimal.

I don't think i've ever seen a 27 / 2.5 core SWA cable, must be a hell of a size. lol!!

It's surprising how many don't fully grasp or understand how to use the grouping factor table in BS7671......

Id say your looking at this all wrong. When applying grouping factors, you look at number of circuits or multicore cables. Assuming the maximum number you can have on 27 cores is 6 circuits and treating them as being bunched and enclosed a grouping factor of 0.57 would be used.

That's my take anyways

I don't think i've ever seen a 27 / 2.5 core SWA cable, must be a hell of a size. lol!!

It's surprising how many don't fully grasp or understand how to use the grouping factor table in BS7671......

It is quite big yes, and very very boring when someone buys the cheap stuff where all the numbers are illegible/rub off when you strip it!

I use a lot of 12 and 19 core with the occasional bit of 27 core doing stage lighting installs. Usually when some other --- designs the install as most of the ones I design are steel conduit/trunking installs.

The most annoying thing is the bunch I have been working for recently insist on using 19core 2.5 to carry 6x 10A dimmer circuits, absoloutley ridiculous when 12core 1.5 would be fine!

If the current is less than a third of 100% of rated current then grouping factors won't apply. Also, the grouping factors stated in the bgb only apply to cables pulling full whack constantly. if the loads are off and on, or some are staggered, this also needs to be taken into account. I'd be surprised if you'd need to apply a grouping factor at all, and even if you did, it would most likely be minimal.
Its a processing plant roughly 40T per hour, I think, that runs for 8hrs a day. So they are constant loads. Upon start up the current is obviously higher, but reduces when less torque is required. The plant is designed to start from END to START of plant, to avoid build up of material, so the multicore circuits won't all be at max load at the same time.
Cheers

Id say your looking at this all wrong. When applying grouping factors, you look at number of circuits or multicore cables. Assuming the maximum number you can have on 27 cores is 6 circuits and treating them as being bunched and enclosed a grouping factor of 0.57 would be used.

That's my take anyways

Ah, ...but would it??

12, 19 and 27 core 2.5 SWA was the standard size for our plant control cables. Many would be over ½ mile in length so something with a bit of meat was needed. As Dave said, it gets boring when you’ve any number to make off.

Putting multiple power circuits in the same cable would get you hung, drawn and quartered.

12, 19 and 27 core 2.5 SWA was the standard size for our plant control cables. Many would be over ½ mile in length so something with a bit of meat was needed. As Dave said, it gets boring when you’ve any number to make off.

Putting multiple power circuits in the same cable would get you hung, drawn and quartered.
before people think its a bit small usually .75 is enough for controls for valves etc

With regards to multiple circuits, reg 521.7 does permit as the voltage across the circuits are the same.

Reg 314 is met as the circuits are individually fused and are electrically separate.

Using table 4B5 to de-rate the cable for multiple conductors i still can't see why this is a problem. It's not particularly good practice, I certainly wouldn't do it myself, but I am struggling to find any evidence to suggest this contravenes regulations.

Can I have some more cryptic responses please? Useful answers would be preferred. :smiley2:

No one said applying a grouping factor would contravene regulations, only that it probably wouldn't be necessary. Read appendix 4 more thoroughly, especially the section that applies to Cg.

Reply to Multiple 3 phase motors fed via a JB supplied with a 27 core SWA in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net