Discuss Multiple spurs off double socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

nyb

-
Reaction score
Hi

I recently purchased a house (built and wired in the 80s).
I removed one of the sockets to do some wallpapering and I noticed that it has 4 hot+neutral (+earth) wires connected to the double socket (and I'm assuming it's all solid core 2.5mm wiring??).

I'm not sure if it's connected in a radial or ring circuit (I'll check soon using the socket next to this one that has the expected two wires to it), but either way, why should there ever be 4 wires connected to a single double socket unless there are 2 spurs off there? The wires are just twisted together; not fused (at least on this end).

Is there any legitimate reason this could have been done? If not, is there anything I should be doing to make this safe? I wanted to clean up the '4 wires shoved tenuously into the socket hole' anyway using wago connectors to connect the wires together and then have a single 2.5mm from the wago feeding the socket. Is this a bad idea (presumambly for a single spur it would be fine?

Any advice here would be great.

Thanks!

Assuming the socket is part of the ring final circuit you can spur from it to one point or several points providing it is protected by a fuse connection unit. Having four 2.5s into the socÄ·et is not the best thing to do, me personally I would not connect more than three.

This may help explain
file:///C:/Users/Pete/AppData/Local/Temp/17th%20Corrigenda%20July%202008.pdf

This would have been done through ignorance - and depending on the socket make the connection may be very tight!

Presumably Pete999 was meaning this document.

As said above the installation of two unfused spurs (to a maximum of one double socket or fused spur each) from one socket on a ring is allowable and so is taking three branches off a radial circuit from one socket, so the arrangement could be OK but only identifying what is connected to these cable could ensure that.

Attachments

• 17th Corrigenda July 2008.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 58
Presumably Pete999 was meaning this document.

As said above the installation of two unfused spurs (to a maximum of one double socket or fused spur each) from one socket on a ring is allowable and so is taking three branches off a radial circuit from one socket, so the arrangement could be OK but only identifying what is connected to these cable could ensure that.

Richard, thanks for this I wondered why my post wouldn't open, cheers.

basically, if you can sort it out and modify it to comply with BS7671, then get on with it. If not, then call a man who can.

Reply to Multiple spurs off double socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net