Discuss Must have electricians toys in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Handy items?
3.5mm &4mm taps
holesaw extension bars
ratchet spanners
scutch chisel
box template
coax stripper
inspection camera
laser level
earth leakage clamp meter
laser distance meter.
and on and on and on.....

dade for holesaws
Holesaw - Dust and Debris Eliminator
you use any set of nice holesaws you have, and all the crap do not fall on your head and customers carpet. must have for downlights etc.

not so much of electricians tools, but:
Toolstation > Painting & Decorating > Decorators Tools > Flexible Mixing Bowl

nice flexible reusable mixing bowl to mix that small bit of plaster to fill a small chase or around the sockets, or a bit of cement when crappy walls and nothing to attach mounting boxes to.

plus set of quality filling knives:
Toolstation > Painting & Decorating > Decorators Tools > Professional Filling Knife

they dont rust and make a nice smooth finish.

plus 2 liters plastic storage container with multi finish plaster mixed a bit with plasterboard adhesive and 0.5 liters of cement to carry with you when big bags staying on the van.
(in case of wrongly drilled downlight holes, access holes or general filling and patching)

i have a magnet to be attached to a a cable rod, plus another small magnet on a piece of string for fishing cables in the wall...

bad---- AA battery powered headtorch, i`m running it on sanyo rechargeable batteries, and yeah, its BRIGHT.

tyvek overalls (screwfix) for itchy lofts.

not a toy, but this leather fingerless gloves beat all the others you can get in "trade" shops. dewalt etc. they are made for climbing but do very well on building site :)
Singing Rock Grippy Gloves ¾ Size 9, Pair of. | eBay
they have small sizes too, not like your usual xxl trademan builder type.

been trying them armeg box sinkers, no use for me, not good on bricks, and breezeblocks going nicely with a sds "tile lifter" mentioned in some previous post.

last but not least, humble dust pan!
Toolstation > Hand Tools > Builders Tools > Dust Pan
its metal and its efficiency its 300% better than cheapo plastic ones. wont break if you step on it either. just mark it with your name otherwise builders will nick it very very quickly.

Last edited:
dade for holesaws
Holesaw - Dust and Debris Eliminator
you use any set of nice holesaws you have, and all the crap do not fall on your head and customers carpet. must have for downlights etc.

not so much of electricians tools, but:
Toolstation > Painting & Decorating > Decorators Tools > Flexible Mixing Bowl

nice flexible reusable mixing bowl to mix that small bit of plaster to fill a small chase or around the sockets, or a bit of cement when crappy walls and nothing to attach mounting boxes to.

plus set of quality filling knives:
Toolstation > Painting & Decorating > Decorators Tools > Professional Filling Knife

they dont rust and make a nice smooth finish.

plus 2 liters plastic storage container with multi finish plaster mixed a bit with plasterboard adhesive and 0.5 liters of cement to carry with you when big bags staying on the van.
(in case of wrongly drilled downlight holes, access holes or general filling and patching)

i have a magnet to be attached to a a cable rod, plus another small magnet on a piece of string for fishing cables in the wall...

bad---- AA battery powered headtorch, i`m running it on sanyo rechargeable batteries, and yeah, its BRIGHT.

tyvek overalls (screwfix) for itchy lofts.

not a toy, but this leather fingerless gloves beat all the others you can get in "trade" shops. dewalt etc. they are made for climbing but do very well on building site :)
Singing Rock Grippy Gloves ¾ Size 9, Pair of. | eBay
they have small sizes too, not like your usual xxl trademan builder type.

been trying them armeg box sinkers, no use for me, not good on bricks, and breezeblocks going nicely with a sds "tile lifter" mentioned in some previous post.

last but not least, humble dust pan!
Toolstation > Hand Tools > Builders Tools > Dust Pan
its metal and its efficiency its 300% better than cheapo plastic ones. wont break if you step on it either. just mark it with your name otherwise builders will nick it very very quickly.

Cheers for the shopping list amlu :) some good recomendations there! Metal dust pan definitely!

Good list there amlu. Especially the DADE. Keeps the dust out of your hair and off the customer's flooring and furniture (although worth throwing down a dust sheet anyway).

Got 1 of these from aldi. Awesome. Esp. As it was on offer 1/2 price £19.99. Wouldn't believe it's cordless

default.jpeg

I have been doing tray work a lot more recently, so I want to invest in a cordless grinder after having a go with another sparks dewalt one. I already have a makita 18v drill & impact driver so can't decide whether to get a makita or the dewalt one! Anyone got the makita 18v one and recommend it?

Argh, I love me tools!
yes, do it. We've had one about 2 years now, it's perfect for tray work, but will also go through 4-5mm steel roof hooks when needed, though it does cane the batteries when doing that.

for sustained / repetative metalwork cutting , you need at least 2 batts dedicated to your cordless grinder no matter which brand you choose , use 1 / charger other / swop over.
but they are an excellent piece of kit.

What are these inspection cameras are they any good. I can't see where I would use one :-s

I'm looking at buyng a thermal camera this week hopefully if anyone has any recommendations? Got about 1500 to spend?

Unless your main work is in the industrial or large commercial sectors, you'll be pretty much wasting that £1500, as you'll rarely if ever use it on domestic installations. You'll also need to know how to interpret the images shown on thermal imaging camera, ...and that's not as easy as it first looks!!

The company is replacing my ceramic Level 4 ballistic body-armour plate (front) and I'm replacing my NEXT gents underpants (large) both items none salvageable. :) Trousers will be washed and well aired before next being worn.
Reason - receiving end of a Hilti bolt gun 'misshap' while the helper was buggering around with it !

Tools for myself new ratchet cutter and a few wire brushes for my drill for removing paint from DB's

I seem to remember reading something about them using this method for wiring aeroplanes. Daz

Reply to Must have electricians toys in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net