• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Must I rewire the whole house? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

From this EICR, should the whole house be rewired or not?

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

Yung

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 29 years old property and the contractor is suggesting that we need to rewired the whole house and strip the bathroom and kitchen down completely.

BELOW IS THE LIST OF WORK NEEDED

CU upgrade.
Mains powered smoke, heat alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors. Uprgade Earth bonding to gas & water. Wire loft for electricity and lighting.
Change all sockets and light switches, installing several double switched sockets around & 2 outside sockets. Install 2 extractor fans in bathroom. Replace bathroom spots with new LED. Install LED downlights and decorative light fixtures in the living room/bedroom. Only LED lights to be installed around the house. Motion sensor light outside, hallway and kitchen.
Install 3 Phone points & CAT 6 points in living room. 2 in garage, 1 in hall way. Install 3 TV point in living room, 1 in garage and upstairs bedrooms. Install zoned thermostat

From the attached a copy of the EICR, do you think the house needs a full rewire?

Also, I'll like to know if all the work above can be done without a full rewire?

Finally, is it possible for the rest of the house to be rewired and then the kitchen and bathroom can be done in a year or 2 when I have enough money to refurbish them?

Please note that the bathroom has an electric shower.

I look forward to your responses and expert advice.

Thank you

Attachments

• EICR Report.pdf
    795.9 KB · Views: 363
All this report says is replace the fuseboard and little else....

The list you have .... Is this your aim?
Yeah, the list is my aim. The things that I'll like to get done based on my zero electrical knowledge. I am open to ideas, corrections and suggestions.

The vast majority of that report falls back to no RCD protection which can be easily rectified.

As for the unsupported cables and IP ratings, without further explanation on the report it's anyones guess.

I doubt very much there's requirement for a full rewire.

Hi Young and Welcome to the Fourum.
Sorry to say, I'm doubtful of the codes recorded and the conclusion that you need to rewire is also likely wrong. Might be worth a second opinion about the extent of work needed. Many good folks here will do free quotes :)

It's almost as though the person doing the EICR has an idea of what he would want in his house, and what you require as well, carried out what is really a cursory inspection, Looks like the conclusion he has arrived at is, if you want all this work done may as well opt for a complete rewire, the only thing visible is the need for RCD protection, which would be a fairly easy and not at all that expensive job.
Testing has been limited to the RFCs (Ring circuits) that's just my take after a look at the report, quick question how much did he charge for the EICR?

I note the reason for the report, is a mortgage application. Apart from the bathroom & kitchen refurbishment, your mortgage lender, on the basis of this EICR, might require to carry out the recommendations of the report for you to obtain your mortgage.

Who paid for the EICR?

I suspect the reason there are only loop readings for the sockets is because they didn't know how to do a loop reading using the two/three way leads.

At No. 4 under agreed operational limitations it is supposed to be agreed with the person ordering the work the items in that box. Did you actually agree to pay for a test that left out three of the circuits? Or did the mortgage company agree to such a poor inspection? Most unlike a mortgage company. Anyway the items listed can be done without a rewire from the information given here. I believe you can remedy the RCD protection but am not convinced it is necessary if equipotential bonding is in place and meets the formula in BS7671. It sounds like you may have to spend circa £500 max to remedy what is listed imho.

Why do you think a rewire is necessary?

Honestly, all I want is a house that is electrically up-to-date/safe for me and my family. It is the electrician who is suggesting a full rewire.
I am on a tight budget and I'll rather the house be electrically safe and have no paint on the walls. Although, not waste money that I don't have.

Only 2 of the circuits have been tested? What is the reason for requiring RCDs for fault protection on this installation?

I have no idea, the EICR was ordered in the hope it would offer more insight into what actually needs to be done.

Hi Young and Welcome to the Fourum.
Sorry to say, I'm doubtful of the codes recorded and the conclusion that you need to rewire is also likely wrong. Might be worth a second opinion about the extent of work needed. Many good folks here will do free quotes :)
Thank you!! I'll be happy to let someone in East London/Essex/Romford area give me a quote and do the job.

Looks like the conclusion he has arrived at is, if you want all this work done may as well opt for a complete rewire, the only thing visible is the need for RCD protection, which would be a fairly easy and not at all that expensive job. - If the rewire isn't done now - how long before it needs doing?
Testing has been limited to the RFCs (Ring circuits) that's just my take after a look at the report, quick question how much did he charge for the EICR?

And the charge was £120.00

I note the reason for the report, is a mortgage application. Apart from the bathroom & kitchen refurbishment, your mortgage lender, on the basis of this EICR, might require to carry out the recommendations of the report for you to obtain your mortgage.

Who paid for the EICR?
It wasn't for mortgage application per say, it was because we were buying the house and we thought we should get it done before spending money decorating etc.

I paid for it.

Reply to Must I rewire the whole house? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back