Discuss Must I rewire the whole house? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

From this EICR, should the whole house be rewired or not?

• Total voters
At No. 4 under agreed operational limitations it is supposed to be agreed with the person ordering the work the items in that box. Did you actually agree to pay for a test that left out three of the circuits? Or did the mortgage company agree to such a poor inspection? Most unlike a mortgage company. Anyway the items listed can be done without a rewire from the information given here. I believe you can remedy the RCD protection but am not convinced it is necessary if equipotential bonding is in place and meets the formula in BS7671. It sounds like you may have to spend circa £500 max to remedy what is listed imho.

Wow!!! Thanks - some much needed reassurance!

And the charge was £120.00
that's why it was a cursory inspection. £200 is a more realistic price for a thorough EICR. it's possible that the guy has gone in cheap there hoping to make a killing from a total rewire. several members in the london area. let's see if one can oblige.

then i think it's time to call in a local spark or 2 and get a couple of quotes. from what we can see from here, it's unlikely that a rewire is needed, but this can only be confirmed by personal visit.

Thank you! This will be my next step. Assuming the house was originally wired with PVC sheathed wiring - how long before a full rewire would be needed?

that's why it was a cursory inspection. £200 is a more realistic price for a thorough EICR. it's possible that the guy has gone in cheap there hoping to make a killing from a total rewire. several members in the london area. let's see if one can oblige.

That explains why. He just said I charge this amount and I paid. I'll wait and see what happens...or I might just post a job.

how long is a piece of string?pvc wiring, if not subjected to detrimental influences, can remain in service for 50 years plus.

try posting on the "find an electrician" forum ( 2nd one down in the forums menu). bear in mind though that some replies may not be members and as such, will not be personally known.

Thank you! This will be my next step. Assuming the house was originally wired with PVC sheathed wiring - how long before a full rewire would be needed?
How long is a piece of string, as long as the tests carried out are OK then you should be OK however old the install is.

Here I am thinking I did due diligence by hiring an NICEIC
Just to be clear, no one here can truly judge the state of your wiring adequately. I would err on the side of giving some weight to the opinion of the person who attended your property. It is a very marginal judgement call sometimes on an existing wiring where one will say rewire another upgrade and/or improvement.
I have attended wiring that is simply atrocious, and yet still salvaged what was good and replaced and repaired what is not. The state of insulation sounds fine on your cables. The protective devices are perfectly adequate from what I can glean from the information. There is no doubt, but not a requirement necessarily, that RCD can offer a significant improvement on safety. And if it were my house I would not hesitate to upgrade for the safety of my family.
In short without evidence especially to the contrary I must assume the person attending your property knows whereof they speak it is not for me to malign another without damning evidence.

Sometimes it can be a personal call when deciding whether to go the full hog. As the folks have already mentioned, to make a clear judgement on the state of and installation requires a site visit and a proper inspection. It could be the case that it is more economical in the long run to just re-wire. It can be a bit like fixing up an old car, where you can either patch up the old body work and salvage the good or you just have the lot done in one hit.

Personally if it was my house and I could afford to I'd have it re-wired before I did anything else. This way you can specify the whole install to suit your needs for now and maybe the future. You can get all the mess done and out of the way. You are also safe in the knowledge that the install will likely last most of your life (assuming you chose to live there for that long) but even so it, also adds value to the property and most importantly you can sleep at night knowing that you and your family are safe.

If money is tight and it is possible I'd probably have the work done in stages. This is a pain and will cost you more but at least it takes the pressure off getting all the finances in place in one go. If you really want to save money then the only option is to just get done what is essentially required to make the existing install safe and up to date (assuming this is an option).

At the end of the day as the home owner its your choice. My advise - get a couple of quotes in with a couple of options and then make decision.

Sometimes it can be a personal call when deciding whether to go the full hog. As the folks have already mentioned, to make a clear judgement on the state of and installation requires a site visit and a proper inspection. It could be the case that it is more economical in the long run to just re-wire. It can be a bit like fixing up an old car, where you can either patch up the old body work and salvage the good or you just have the lot done in one hit.

Personally if it was my house and I could afford to I'd have it re-wired before I did anything else. This way you can specify the whole install to suit your needs for now and maybe the future. You can get all the mess done and out of the way. You are also safe in the knowledge that the install will likely last most of your life (assuming you chose to live there for that long) but even so it, also adds value to the property and most importantly you can sleep at night knowing that you and your family are safe.

If money is tight and it is possible I'd probably have the work done in stages. This is a pain and will cost you more but at least it takes the pressure off getting all the finances in place in one go. If you really want to save money then the only option is to just get done what is essentially required to make the existing install safe and up to date (assuming this is an option).

At the end of the day as the home owner its your choice. My advise - get a couple of quotes in with a couple of options and then make decision.

I am not so keen on aesthetics of the house due to my budget. If I did decide to go full hog - Is it possible to do this without ripping the kitchen and bathroom apart? I mean full rewire but not have to fork out money on kitchen and bathroom till another time. I ask because I was told if I am doing a rewire, I should just start all over again. Rewire it all, I can manage to do that. But to get a new kitchen and bathroom cos of full rewire....no funds for that.

Honestly, all I want is a house that is electrically up-to-date/safe for me and my family. It is the electrician who is suggesting a full rewire.
I am on a tight budget and I'll rather the house be electrically safe and have no paint on the walls. Although, not waste money that I don't have.

Wow, wish my customers were like you. Most of mine are just concerned about their new kitchens & bathrooms. :rolleyes:

My house was built in 1989, I wouldn't really need to test to say it doesn't need rewiring. That said, it seems most manufacturers only give a life span of twenty years for their pvc sheathed cables. Think they are rather cautious. If your house hasn't been subjected to DIY alterations, then as others have said perhaps a partial rewire, using the good bits.

It's your money, so do what you feel most comfortable with.

I am not so keen on aesthetics of the house due to my budget. If I did decide to go full hog - Is it possible to do this without ripping the kitchen and bathroom apart? I mean full rewire but not have to fork out money on kitchen and bathroom till another time. I ask because I was told if I am doing a rewire, I should just start all over again. Rewire it all, I can manage to do that. But to get a new kitchen and bathroom cos of full rewire....no funds for that.

You should have a chat with your electrician. Its worth keeping in mind the kitchen will be altered in due course, and allow for some spare flexibility in cables. Not sure you would need that in a bathroom, which is basically lighting and perhaps a cable for a electric shower or shower pump, perhaps dual fuel towel radiator. There's only so much that can go in a bathroom, electrics wise?

Alarm bells should always ring when the content of the Report only makes reference to absence of rcd protection. This instantly tells me a thorough inspection has not taken place and whether you pay £20 or £200, NICEIC or no NICEIC you are entitled to thorough job. Unfortunately there is a band of people out there undertaking EICRs who are not competent to do so and hence there view on an installation stretches no further than looking for additional rcd protection and consumer units with metal enclosures.

I'd be amazed if 25 year old T&E failed any tests. Unless it had been nailed through somwhere of course! But as above, it depends on what needs adding/moving etc. as to the extent of what work is actally needed. Get a 2nd opinion from someone on here.

As Midwest said ^^^^^

If I was quoting for you then I would consider all options and advise on what is best for you. I have done re-wires where the client has had a tight budget to work with. Rather than cutting corners we agreed to have a thorough job done over a period of time as & when finances were available. Some circumstance may allow you to have certain rooms done at later dates.Its not ideal and can be a pain for both the client and the electrician. As I said it will cost you more in the long run, but may fit in with your requirements.

A decent electrician will take a look at the job in hand and will be able to offer you advise on what you can and can't do with your electrical installation.

Reply to Must I rewire the whole house? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net