Discuss Must I rewire the whole house? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

From this EICR, should the whole house be rewired or not?

• Total voters
That EICR, the £120 paid for it and the location (presuming London) makes me smell a rat. A really big humongous rat at that! The limitations of the report are poor. It would take very little time to do the R2 tests for instance, and given the lack of Zs figures there is no effective knowledge as to whether the protective earth conductors are satisfactory.

The wording in the observations column will mean little to nothing to the average customer, and my guess is that it is like that on purpose, so the customer is left in the dark. It is extremely vague wording also with no particular reference to where the issues are found within the property.

I also think that the company that carried out this report are probably of the ilk that carry out cheap EICRs to then serve as an income generator for remedial works.

Not all electrical contractors are like this. I think you have been had on this occasion - sorry.

I would suggest getting the consumer unit changed and earthing/bonding upgraded, where by which you will get all the circuits tested. Going forward this will give you an idea of which, if any circuits are in need of rewiring. It will also mean new sockets etc can be added much more easily.

I would be looking for a new electrician, and I would show them the report and even your forum post (if they are interested to look!) Tell them your concerns and take it from there. There will be someone on here who should be able to help.

Good luck.

That EICR, the £120 paid for it and the location (presuming London) makes me smell a rat. A really big humongous rat at that! The limitations of the report are poor. It would take very little time to do the R2 tests for instance, and given the lack of Zs figures there is no effective knowledge as to whether the protective earth conductors are satisfactory.

The wording in the observations column will mean little to nothing to the average customer, and my guess is that it is like that on purpose, so the customer is left in the dark. It is extremely vague wording also with no particular reference to where the issues are found within the property.

I also think that the company that carried out this report are probably of the ilk that carry out cheap EICRs to then serve as an income generator for remedial works.

Not all electrical contractors are like this. I think you have been had on this occasion - sorry.

I would suggest getting the consumer unit changed and earthing/bonding upgraded, where by which you will get all the circuits tested. Going forward this will give you an idea of which, if any circuits are in need of rewiring. It will also mean new sockets etc can be added much more easily.

I would be looking for a new electrician, and I would show them the report and even your forum post (if they are interested to look!) Tell them your concerns and take it from there. There will be someone on here who should be able to help.

Good luck.
Thank you!!! Sparkie30 has agreed to have a look by weekend. Maybe I'll be able to do what is electrically necessary and still have some money left for a coat of paint. Happy days :blush:

Sounds good. Let us know the outcome. Hope all goes well for you.

Hi, I have not even read the whole thread, you say the property is 29 years old.? PVC then if the installation has tested ok no need to rewire PVC has more or less life long span, would agree with a CU upgrade, good luck.

As for the kitchen/bathroom - if the rewire is the best way forward- you should be able to kerp the kitchen/bathroom as they are (subject to satisfactory test results) and just run new legs to rooms & leave trill your ready to start them

Older wiring does not mean a rewire
However as you have not moved in yet I would suggest you have another contractor look over this.
My ex apprentice (now time served qualified tradesman) lives and trades in London.
He says he comes across lots of sub standard installs by suitably qualified and registered persons.

On a side issue- if the existing wiring is OK and you add to it things will probably be OK, but if you are planning lots of extra sockets etc a rewire will give you peace of mind as you know it will all be new and guaranteed.

As far as tradespeople go- check recommendations but always use your gut feeling - it is usually right.

Reply to Must I rewire the whole house? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net