Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MWC or EICR

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by BigSim, Sep 20, 2016.

Discuss MWC or EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. BigSim

BigSim Active EF Member

Hi all.

I normally get a lot of remedial work from the other guys who carry out the EICRS. Some of the faults might include untraceable circuits, which after a bit of investigation can normally be found. Now, when I find these circuits then I inspect, test, and complete a separate EICR (original one is normally signed off so can't be amended as submitted to the client), but the guys tell me that I can complete a MWC for each circuit tested. Now in my mind I haven't worked on the circuit, so how can I complete a MWC? But obviously one is a lot quicker to complete than the other!

What are your thoughts?

2. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Complete a separate schedule of test results and attach to original EICR would be my train of thought. Possibly another schedule of inspections if there are factors pertaining to the circuits that did not appear on the original. Can the EICR not be reproduced with the added data ?

Begs the questions though, why is your boss not telling you which paperwork they would prefer to see produced ? And if you can trace the circuit to test it, why cannot the original inspector ?

3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

I would do an EICR for those circuits and then state this in the Extent and Limitations. You can also add those circuits not refered in this Report are itemised in a separate Report and give details/reference of that Report.

4. Risteard

Risteard Respected Member

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Presumably because they haven't been allowed sufficient time to trace them when carrying out the periodic inspection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Probably a bit of that and not even bothering. I always leave circuits which need a bit of tracing until last, you often find hidden circuits while testing the others. Or leave them off and wait for someone to find them for you.

6. BigSim

BigSim Active EF Member

They only get a certain amount if time to trace a circuit. If they do find it then great, but otherwise it's coded as a FI and added to the remedial list for me (once the client had approved the list). Normally these circuits are unmarked, so could take a good few hours to trace cables etc. If the guys are there for a few days then they normally switch off the unlabelled circuits. You normally get somebody shouting that a socket/light/spur somewhere has stopped working!

The EICR is all electronic, so once it is submitted nothing else can be attached. So the general view is that an EICR should be completed, and not MWC.