Discuss My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Regarding the percentage of green & yellow. There is this reg.
My 1st board on site advice upload_2019-4-4_16-35-35 - EletriciansForums.net

Whilst your Emailing them about that, could you ask them whether BS 7288 sockets and FCUs being used for additional protection?

There is actually already an article published about this that states currently they are not considered additional protection under the 18th.

It's to do with the construction of some of the electronics/mechanical assembly of the tripping mechanism. It may be near enough the same as an RCB but doesn't currently get tested to the same standard.

I'll try and find it

There is actually already an article published about this that states currently they are not considered additional protection under the 18th.

It's to do with the construction of some of the electronics/mechanical assembly of the tripping mechanism. It may be near enough the same as an RCB but doesn't currently get tested to the same standard.

I'll try and find it
Thank you.

Just to add another point, BS7671 does not in every instance require Manufacturer’s Instructions to be adhered to.
In general the requirement is to take ‘account of’, it is only in relation to ‘Type tested’ or ‘Partially Type tested’ DBs where the instructions require adherence.

Looks like a good job to me, as already said ferrules would be good and I don't like.proteus but I think that's a very good place to start

Again it’s all down to choice.
You choose to use a non-compliant product, no one is standing behind you holding a gun to your head.

Of course, you could use some heat shrink to cover the blue.

It's not a non compliant product, the products comply with their relevant standards and nothing in bs7671 precludes their use.
It is obvious to anyone that a ferrule or insulated crimp is not a means of identifying a conductors purpose, and doubt anyone has ever mistaken a 0.75mm cpc with a ferrule on the end for a PEN conductor.

It's not a non compliant product, the products comply with their relevant standards and nothing in bs7671 precludes their use.
It is obvious to anyone that a ferrule or insulated crimp is not a means of identifying a conductors purpose, and doubt anyone has ever mistaken a 0.75mm cpc with a ferrule on the end for a PEN conductor.
I go to a light switch, and see a Red and a Black wire, or even a Brown and Blue wire.
I know that the Black or the Blue wire is going to be a switched live. I don’t need a little bit of red or brown sleeving to tell me.
Dose it comply if they don’t have markings to tell me they’re live?

I go to a light switch, and see a Red and a Black wire, or even a Brown and Blue wire.
I know that the Black or the Blue wire is going to be a switched live. I don’t need a little bit of red or brown sleeving to tell me.
Dose it comply if they don’t have markings to tell me they’re live?

But if the switch is off, it's not live! ;)

Nice board. My only other observation is that you have not sealed the back of the case where the cables come through. Could use intumiscent sealer? Easier is holes are only just big enough for cables that pass through.

Hello,

I have just competed my 1st consumer unit install on site. I would like some advice on how I may improve the quality/neatness.

All constructive criticism welcome

Thanks

View attachment 48654

View attachment 48655
If that's your first CU then fair play, that is pretty good!
All posts made (apart from Rob's) are just their opinions and what they would prefer.
Even Rob's comment I don't do!:rolleyes:

Good job mate!

I'll echo Top Cats comments above.
Intumescent sealant is required where you make big holes for cables between fire compartments of a building, not for tiny holes in a consumer unit. You're not trying to contain a fire, but to limit oxygen supply so that a fire can't develop in the first place.
As for 526.9.1 (In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.), you can satisfy this in any way that you see fit and are happy with. Apart from very small wires (less than, say 0.75mm2), twisting and doubling over is more than sufficient. Ferrules are nice, and professional looking, but they're far from required.

Reply to My 1st board on site advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock