Discuss My apprentice tool backack in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HumbleWorker 91RT

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering on your thoughts of my little starter setup I didn't include a chisel in the photo or hacksaw but the hacksaw is a 5 in 1 stanley fatmax which is arriving tomorrow.
I hope at least by rocking up with this kit my boss will think I'm serious about learning and excelling in the trade.

Anything you guys think I've missed that I'd need on a daily basis please do pipe up and let me know

Have a quality Sunday everyone.
Cheers
HW

My apprentice tool backack IMG_0271.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

My apprentice tool backack IMG_0272.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

My apprentice tool backack IMG_0273.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

My apprentice tool backack FullSizeRender - EletriciansForums.net

You might want to think about getting yourself a decent claw hammer, as well as that the toffee hammer you already have, otherwise very nice for a start up kit, get shot of the neon tester as well, next time you need some new drivers, my personal choice would be a set, handle and detachable blades, less room, and as long as you keep them tidy in the wallet you will always know where they are. Get a folding knife, like the CK electricians knife, oh and get shot of the cable stripper, remember these are my personal choices, so other guys will probably slag the knife choice off, I never ever tried to strip twin type cable with a Stanley knife, far to flimsy for an Electrician, one last thing if you can afford it get a small 9" level, and all the best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Yeah shall be adding that cheers Pete
I have a combi drill and bit set too but I assumed I wouldn't need that for my first day on the job and if I did well that could be brought the following day etc

Cheers
HW

Yeah shall be adding that cheers Pete
I have a combi drill and bit set too but I assumed I wouldn't need that for my first day on the job and if I did well that could be brought the following day etc

Cheers
HW
If you lived closer it may have been worthwhile visiting me at home got loads of drill bits going spare. Far to heavy to post would cot a fortune

Leave the bolster at home for the first day and just get a feel of what you will be needing in the near future, ask a few questions when the time is right. Good start though and as Pete says, ditch the neon unless you can be visually seen using it in an abusing manner such as putting holes in things! Best just ditch it. All the best and enjoy the journey.

Leave the bolster at home for the first day and just get a feel of what you will be needing in the near future, ask a few questions when the time is right. Good start though and as Pete says, ditch the neon unless you can be visually seen using it in an abusing manner such as putting holes in things! Best just ditch it. All the best and enjoy the journey.
Nice post Me Babber

If buying a few bits and bobs or maybe a drill from screwfix, set yourself up online with a electricfix account with screwfix, they usually send you a 10% off voucher to use on your next order. might save you a nice bit of money.. as apprentice you can just fill the various boxes in and put your company's info in for the boxes about company and registration details etc..

Again cheers for the advice yeah the neon was in the set with the vde screwdrivers but I got the fluke voltage detector to use instead I am well happy to be getting stuck in, I'm former mechanic so I'm fighting the tool junkie bug quite hard haha

Don't forget a humble lead pencil ... Agree with Pete on the torpedo level, very useful. But I do quite like the cable stripper :)

Again cheers for the advice yeah the neon was in the set with the vde screwdrivers but I got the fluke voltage detector to use instead I am well happy to be getting stuck in, I'm former mechanic so I'm fighting the tool junkie bug quite hard haha
You will never win the fight Mate, once a tool Tart always a tool Tart, and I speak from many years of addiction, it's disease, it's crippling, I entered a period of rehab a few years back, but once hooked, one look in B&Q and it starts all over again, one struggle to stop buying tools just because they look nice, right I off to Wickes this afternoon, just for a look you understand, don't know whats worse the not buying or buying and the grief when you hand over the debit card chit, and don't say don't tell her in doors, they are a devious bunch Wives of tool addicts.

A lot of the apprentices at the commercial job I am on have the fatmax backpack with the handle and wheels but I've noticed that Stanley have ditched the very strong shoulder straps that Humbles and mine have, I guess that they expect you to pull it more than carry it on your shoulders - bad idea in my view. Good choice though Humble in my opinion though we do have some elite on here that would spend an extra £130 on a Veto (looks good being placed into their vivaro sportive!)

Leave the bolster at home ............. Pete says, ditch the neon unless you can be visually seen using it in an abusing manner such as putting holes in things! .
Photonic Induction knew best how to abuse a Neon !
(not the safest of things if they ever get contaminated water/metal-inside)
Battery operated Volt stick , a modern must.

Was that with the sausage finger? Quite funny that one.
EDIT - don't try that at home, use someone else's house!

A lot of the apprentices at the commercial job I am on have the fatmax backpack with the handle and wheels but I've noticed that Stanley have ditched the very strong shoulder straps that Humbles and mine have, I guess that they expect you to pull it more than carry it on your shoulders - bad idea in my view. Good choice though Humble in my opinion though we do have some elite on here that would spend an extra £130 on a Veto (looks good being placed into their vivaro sportive!)
Elite means far too much cash to waste on tool bags with a label, stick to your Fatmax Mate save your money for more tools.

Tool tart, an ugly term. I am in denial of being one fortunately. This allow me to buy things needlessly. It is sad today chipping off the bathroom tiles at home (apart from going through the shower pipe) with me Bosch SDS it started packing up, I was quite elated thinking wow I will have to buy a new one. Then I realised it was just the brushes, boring! Anyway (ahem) I thought well I will have to get out my Makita SDS then. See how bad that is?

Reply to My apprentice tool backack in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock