Discuss My Builder - Beware. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

highspark

Was advised to use the site MY BUILDER. What a load of rubbish. Registered last week and have been sent 14 leads for different jobs. Some sounding half decent others not so. Anyhow I got sent a job clearly marked - REWIRE. So said I was interested. The customer shortlisted me and I went to give them a quote on arrival the customer didn't really know what they wanted - you cleary wrote REWIRE. Gave them a quote for a full rewire. Got a call back....I'm not going to take up your offer. Great!!! Probably because you didn't know the full cost of a rewire! Only thing is I log back onto my builder and they have sent me an invoice for 16 quid plus VAT for giving me the customers number.... What a scam!!!Why doesn't the mods set up a similar section where customers can put their jobs on and us sparks can bid for them - but free of charge!

Last edited by a moderator:
They use to do that but people were not registering the job and they were not getting a cut
I always watch which ones I quote now as you can easily rack up a big bill

TBH i tend to stear away from these sort of cold lead companies, it sort of takes all the control away from your work.
Easy just to say that when times are harder out there i know but the type of client that seeks a trader from a website like bidding a pair of shoes on ebay is not the type of person any proper trader would want anyway. It has hassle writen all over it.
Keep plucking at the roads and ways you know Highspark, you will earn the same money but go home with less stress.

Didn't you realise you were signing up to a lead generator? They all claim they only pass on "qualified" leads, ie they've supposedly checked that the inquirer is genuine. But the service is free to the inquirer so they use it as an easy way to get quotes or to just explore possibilities - "if I did this how much would it cost?" - and so on. The lead generator isn't going to filter these out, as they get paid for forwarding the leads ... to us. They're not going to spend time and effort checking on the customer and thereby doing themselves out of a fee. So we end up paying for punters' casual interest, as you've discovered.

PJ

I agree, i try and stay away from them as much as possible. You never know what your commiting to really and like needasparks says most of the people who use them are just trying to get the very cheapest price without any regard for standard of work. Also, if you have any type of dis-agreement with the customer and they can say what they like about you in the review that they write, wether it be true or not. Once you've got a bad review, acurate or not, thats your reputation tarnished......

... Only thing is I log back onto my builder and they have sent me an invoice for 16 quid plus VAT for giving me the customers number.... What a scam!!!Why doesn't the mods set up a similar section where customers can put their jobs on and us sparks can bid for them - but free of charge!
That's a daylight robbery, thanks for cautioning us!

these "organisations" are nowt but parasites mate......brush em off quick .....

Yep ............ they are run by people who can't get a job themselves - even as shelf stackers for ASDA - so they start scams such as these purely to make an income for themselves.

Well, that's my theory anyway, but it won't be too far from the truth.

Remember the article in the PE mag a few years ago about the Cowboy Customer, thats what youre up against these days

I'm on mybuilder as a painter and I totally believe 40% of it is a con, we all go through a bad stage work wise in our lives and believe the owners will to and then they post fake jobs, I've had on several occasions where I get shortlisted I ring the client they don't answer the phone I've just had the same thing which the lead has just cost £25 no answer and no reply when I heard back she told me she had a guy coming tomorrow to quote if it was too high she would then give me a call!!! Who the hell gets just one quote when I could be cheaper and save her money??? And funnily enough she only replied to my text AFTER I'd sent my builder an email to complain!! I've had 17 jobs of my builder and as many blowouts in which I've not quoted the work but been charged for the lead!! Who's to say when there quiet they don't make up jobs and post them on there just to get lead fees in?? I've had people tell me they've sorted someone now but not clicked the hired button?? What the hell is that all about?? I've emailed mybuilder in which they have replied saying that blowouts make up for the leads and work you do get and that still earns you more then you pay out over the course on leads!!! What a load of **** that is!! I've now screenshoted my feedback as I can feel myself being kicked off there and to be fair I'm passed bloody caring!!!

Welcome to the forum Pristine84, the thread is nearly 4 yrs old now but in reflection that your still experiencing issues with said set-up I'll leave the thread open as your post is still relevent to the thread and there still seems to be unsatisfied members of said organisation, thankyou for your input.

Last edited:
Was advised to use the site MY BUILDER. What a load of rubbish. Registered last week and have been sent 14 leads for different jobs. Some sounding half decent others not so. Anyhow I got sent a job clearly marked - REWIRE. So said I was interested. The customer shortlisted me and I went to give them a quote on arrival the customer didn't really know what they wanted - you cleary wrote REWIRE. Gave them a quote for a full rewire. Got a call back....I'm not going to take up your offer. Great!!! Probably because you didn't know the full cost of a rewire! Only thing is I log back onto my builder and they have sent me an invoice for 16 quid plus VAT for giving me the customers number.... What a scam!!!Why doesn't the mods set up a similar section where customers can put their jobs on and us sparks can bid for them - but free of charge!

Scammin gits

Yep ............ they are run by people who can't get a job themselves - even as shelf stackers for ASDA - so they start scams such as these purely to make an income for themselves.

Well, that's my theory anyway, but it won't be too far from the truth.

Nearly right........but not quite!

they are run by clever people who get stupid/desperate/niave tradesmen to earn them a small fortune, whilst putting all the responsibility/cost/hassel and effort on aforementioned stupid/desperate/niave tradesmen

why work when you can get others to do it for you?

5 minutes google research would give anyone all the info they need on what these site are like!

a real tradesmen gets his own work!

Last edited:
tbf- I won a local 2bed rewire off of mybuilder within weeks of signing up- so I am pretty happy with it so far- and have been to a fair few off there to quote- so proves it does provide genuine solid jobs- thinks its just a case of not 'showing interest' on every job- because you will end up forking out a fortune- i just hold of until a nice/ genuine job pops up- so not really a way to base all your attention on getting work!

Reply to My Builder - Beware. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock