Discuss My first big job, made up of lots of little jobs, please help with pricing! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

The title says it all really, I have been asked to do a series of jobs in a 2 bed flat based in South West London. He's a really nice man and want to charge a fair price. Historically, I have only completed individual jobs at a time so am a bit stumped of how to charge for what he wants. I would really appreciate some advice from those more experienced. I have attached a simple spreadsheet below that I composed of what he wants, with brief explanations and as said would value your thoughts. The prices proposed exclude the cost of materials e.g. downlights, switches etc. If I am way out, then apologies in advance and go easy lol!!!

Many thanks,

M

Attachments

• copy Estimate - Invoice.pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 153
Hi all,

The title says it all really, I have been asked to do a series of jobs in a 2 bed flat based in South West London. He's a really nice man and want to charge a fair price. Historically, I have only completed individual jobs at a time so am a bit stumped of how to charge for what he wants. I would really appreciate some advice from those more experienced. I have attached a simple spreadsheet below that I composed of what he wants, with brief explanations and as said would value your thoughts. The prices proposed exclude the cost of materials e.g. downlights, switches etc. If I am way out, then apologies in advance and go easy lol!!!

Many thanks,

M
Correct me if I'm wrong, your price is £900:00 labour only? question is how long have you allowed to complete this work?

Hi Pete,

I tried to work it out per point or per item based on a time I thought it would take me, e.g. im guessing I could do 7 sockets per hour at £8.00 / per point that would work out to be about £56 / hour.

Led lights I have basically charged £25 / point.

wall light replacement the same again assuming I do 2 / hour???

Am I way off on either the time it would / should take lol??

Thanks,

M

Hi Rob,

They would supply all light fittings, sockets, downlights etc or I would get them and they pay me, I would charge what I pay for them. In terms of testing I would test as need be and issue minor works as necessary.

M

I can't see that you've allowed anytime cost wise for testing, writing certificates, notifying (if necessary). Cost of notification.

With it being London, is parking free or will this be a cost?

You need to be putting a markup on parts, it should still be cheaper for the client to buy materials from you with your markup on them than they could over the counter.

Have you anything in for warranty if a part fails, who's cost is it to replace and fix it?

Who is making good on removed pendant lights. And it sounds like this is a partial re-wire with all those downlights if I understand you correctly? So floorboards up to install all the down lights? In an occupied premises sounds like a bit more than just what you list? Is there insulation in the loft?

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking this would be incorporated into the item cost that I have given as tbh the estimate quickly added up, so got scared lol! Parking is not an issue and it is literally a 5 min drive from my house which is very convinient lol.

In terms of warrenty TBH I did not even think of it but everything being supplied and fitted is a faily simple job in itslef and as they are so near doesnt really bother me if I have to swap something over but again appreciate the shout.

M

Hi Pete,

I tried to work it out per point or per item based on a time I thought it would take me, e.g. im guessing I could do 7 sockets per hour at £8.00 / per point that would work out to be about £56 / hour.

Led lights I have basically charged £25 / point.

wall light replacement the same again assuming I do 2 / hour???

Am I way off on either the time it would / should take lol??

Thanks,

M
Having worked for HMG for most of my working life, with the odd job at weekends or days off to help my Son, my advice may be a bit wayward. How most people do pricing is on a per day rate plus materials plus your mark up on materials.
The best I can offer is estimate how many days you think it will take to do the job, not individually, add you materials and mark up.
When the other guys get chance they will be able to offer better advice, because they are doing this sort of thing daily.
I don't know what the day rate is for Electricians in your area, even as old as I am I reckon I could CHANGE like for like 10 socket in an hour, at your price that would be £80:00 an hour without materials, sockets at, say £3.50 each that's a further £35:00 so £115: 00/hour, a bit steep if you ask me, as I say my pricing may be off, sorry I can't offer any better help.

Who is making good on removed pendant lights. And it sounds like this is a partial re-wire with all those downlights if I understand you correctly? So floorboards up to install all the down lights? In an occupied premises sounds like a bit more than just what you list? Is there insulation in the loft?

Hi Vortigern,

The customer is refurbishing the property so they will do the make good, I would do an easyfill job if they wanted but thats as far as it would go lol. The flat is on the top floor and I have access to the loft (which is insulated and at present it is unoccupied, just has trades people in it.

Thanks for the reply :)

I think you need more time per point.

Also, as it's a flat, do you have free access to the ceiling from above. You have a real problem if you don't.

Having worked for HMG for most of my working life, with the odd job at weekends or days off to help my Son, my advice may be a bit wayward. How most people do pricing is on a per day rate plus materials plus your mark up on materials.
The best I can offer is estimate how many days you think it will take to do the job, not individually, add you materials and mark up.
When the other guys get chance they will be able to offer better advice, because they are doing this sort of thing daily.
I don't know what the day rate is for Electricians in your area, even as old as I am I reckon I could CHANGE like for like 10 socket in an hour, at your price that would be £80:00 an hour without materials, sockets at, say £3.50 each that's a further £35:00 so £115: 00/hour, a bit steep if you ask me, as I say my pricing may be off, sorry I can't offer any better help.

Pete,

Really helpful, thanks,

M

don't think your estimate is far out. i'd be looking @ 4 days labour £1000 , but london prices i'd think would be 30% higher. remember a call-out in london a firm went on. immersion heater not working. electrician reset over heat cou-out. waited 5 mins to ensure water was heating, 15 minutes total on site. bill was £250 + VAT.

As your sockets are just replacement, that's probably about right. At least you havent got to lift floors, run new cables, etc.
I would up your per downlight price by a tenner each. there's a lot of messing about with those, especially if you are on your own.

Beware of assuming wall lights will be an easy swop. they aren't. (Hobby horse time).
The MD of companies making wall lights should be COMPELLED to try and install one of their lights. Often they are only just able to accomodate one single cable in the housing and supply a stupidly small terminal box to do this. Often you'll have two or more cables to deal with.
Then you'll find that the supporting brackets can't go where you want them to go because theres a great big hole from the old wall light, or because the cable runs just where the support screws are to go.... its fun (not).
Those plaster fittings are a challenge too. You'll need a cranked right angled screwdriver to get to the screw head.
I'd add at least half an hour to your assumed time for each light.

Materials price. Even for mates I add 20% to my cost. More for everybody else. He may be a nice man, but you have a living to make.
If you buy materials you have to add your time to identify the products, order, collect or take delivery. That's all your value add and your time. And then you will take on the responsibility for the materials.

You are going about this the wrong way round.

How much do you think your annual overheads will be?

How much do you need to earn per hour before tax?

Then assume you will work about 220 days per year ....

Also to avoid abuse, best you get your profile updated from DIY.

I'm beginning to suspect he is still DIY, a trading electrician would know everything mentioned already or would've gone bust.

Reply to My first big job, made up of lots of little jobs, please help with pricing! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock