Discuss My first EICR - A little help with coding required!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have just finished my first EICR! It took a LONG time (10 hours in total - not including writing up the report which I am doing now with a cup of coffee!)

There were many, many faults/problems and I have coded most of them but am stuck with 5 of them and was hoping for some advice:

1. First floor landing has a triple pole switch outside first floor toliet room (for fan) which also isolates the lights in 3 of the first floor bedrooms. I cant see that being dangerous but its a bit odd... (Perhaps a C3 or no code at all?)

2. The fan (12V) in the downstairs bathroom does not work, plus there is no vent inside the bathroom to allow the fan to draw the air through. (probably a C2 but maybe a C3?)

3. There is a socket less than 300mm from the sink, but well away from the taps as its a very long sink. (no code or C3?)

4. T&E being used to feed outside light (perhaps C3 or is that harsh? T&E seems to be used outside everywhere, but that doesn't make it right?)

5. IR test between L-N on one of the rings was 0.01Mohm, but (L+N) - E was 516Mohm. (Bit stuck with this one - perhaps no code, but further investigation needed?)

Cheers all..

Okay I've been hanging around this forum to make a few completely uneducated guesses.(I've never done an EICR either )

Evening all..

I have just finished my first EICR! It took a LONG time (10 hours in total - not including writing up the report which I am doing now with a cup of coffee!)

There were many, many faults/problems and I have coded most of them but am stuck with 4 of them and was hoping for some advice:

1. First floor landing has a triple pole switch outside first floor toliet room (for fan) which also isolates the lights in 3 of the first floor bedrooms. I cant see that being dangerous but its a bit odd... (Perhaps a C3 or no code at all?)
If it's just a peculiar switching arrangement then probably no code

2. The fan (12V) in the downstairs bathroom does not work, plus there is no vent inside the bathroom to allow the fan to draw the air through. (probably a C2 but maybe a C3?)
More likely to be a breech of the building regs so no code

3. There is a socket less than 300mm from the sink, but well away from the taps as its a very long sink. (no code or C3?)
Sink is not zoned like a bathroom so no code

4. T&E being used to feed outside light (perhaps C3 or is that harsh? T&E seems to be used outside everywhere, but that doesn't make it right?)
No code
Cheers all..

How did I do?

100% with marvo there. just no'5. bet there's a load or a neon still connected. let it go.

got to agree with marvo. he might ban you or shoot you . :33::21:

1. First floor landing has a triple pole switch outside first floor toliet room (for fan) which also isolates the lights in 3 of the first floor bedrooms. I cant see that being dangerous but its a bit odd... (Perhaps a C3 or no code at all?) no code

2. The fan (12V) in the downstairs bathroom does not work, plus there is no vent inside the bathroom to allow the fan to draw the air through. (probably a C2 but maybe a C3?) no code

3. There is a socket less than 300mm from the sink, but well away from the taps as its a very long sink. (no code or C3?) c3 this is from eca website faq's -BS 7671 does not specify any minimum distance for socket-outlets to be from a sink. However, regulation 512.2.1 requires external influences to be considered when selecting equipment for a particular location. Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. For this reason, it is recommended that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are less likely to get splashed.

4. T&E being used to feed outside light (perhaps C3 or is that harsh? T&E seems to be used outside everywhere, but that doesn't make it right?) no code as long as not degraded by uv / elements

5. IR test between L-N on one of the rings was 0.01Mohm, but (L+N) - E was 516Mohm. (Bit stuck with this one - perhaps no code, but further investigation needed?) maybe c3 or further investigation probably either something plugged in or neon indicator ?

jon, putting you email and contact numbers on an open forum leaves you wide open to spamming.

and get you details posted on the electricians in your area forum.

Geez, not bad for an African. Happy Hippy cheated, he added number 5 after I'd replied :)

Sorry Marvo :smile5:.. You must have been VERY quick as I added it straight after!

Thanks all, It looks as though I'm probably being too cautious!

No probs, I just answered for fun and don't take my attempts as gospel, as Jon Small points out the socket at the sink may be a caution if there's a likelihood of a hazard.

The low IR on the L-N will almost certainly be a small load, maybe a TV antenna amplifier

Sorry Marvo :smile5:.. You must have been VERY quick as I added it straight after!

Thanks all, It looks as though I'm probably being too cautious![/QUOTE]

I would rather read an eicr that was cautious than someone leaving something lethal off the list, it will become easier the more you do pal.

Not cautious, I'd say thorough.

How big was the house/how many circuits?

It was a large house.. 4 floors with 5 bedrooms.

Only 6 circuits in total.. 2 rings, 2 lighting, water heater and smoke alarms.

I'm always going to be thorough Murdoch, cant help it can you :smiley2:. That 0.01Mohm on the L-N is going to bug me unless I find it!!! :annoyed:

It was a large house.. 4 floors with 5 bedrooms.

Only 6 circuits in total.. 2 rings, 2 lighting, water heater and smoke alarms.

I'm always going to be thorough Murdoch, cant help it can you :smiley2:. That 0.01Mohm on the L-N is going to bug me unless I find it!!! :annoyed:

That has got to be something plugged in!

Sounds like a good and thorough, not drive by, EICR, good work.
10,000 ohms is a slightly odd one as it seems too low for even modern neons, though many are now LED as well, I would normally expect 100,000 ohms+, however for a normal load 10,000 ohms is too high. I would expect some electronics connected somewhere, transformers, aerial boosters, etc.
As it stands it should be a C2 with a further investigation, since you have measured and recorded it. But as Archy says it would pass if it had not been measured!

I would agree with the rest of the Marvo coding, with a caveat on the inspector assessing the socket by the sink for environmental suitability, which it sounds like you have done and it is suitable, so no code.

Reply to My first EICR - A little help with coding required!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net