Discuss My First Van Break In...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

loulew

-
Reaction score
So I've just experienced my first van break in. Happened an hour ago, broad daylight with the van parked at the front of site I'm working on.

Only managed to get a drill though as a cyclist disturbed them.

How's everyone else's day?

Thanks, no just a bit of damage where they've jammed a screwdriver in the drivers door lock. Took them about 15 seconds from getting out of their car to driving off again apparently.

When I'm working, I make sure every time I get something out of my van, I double lock it afterwards. Unfortunately, the double locking has stopped working from prolonged use! Might just leave one of these in there:

upload_2017-9-12_15-10-3.jpeg

I was thinking more along the lines of a mad max style self-destruct but that may just be the anger talking. Yeah, she was in the right place at the right time. They could have got away with a lot more if she hadn't gone past.

need to do mine also. Garrison seems a decent price for slamlocks. only need the one. going to fit bolts to the inside of tailgate, so can only be opened from inside when these are locked in.

need to do mine also. Garrison seems a decent price for slamlocks. only need the one. going to fit bolts to the inside of tailgate, so can only be opened from inside when these are locked in.
I like your thinking. i saw a van in my local screwfix carpark the other week, the guy had welded what looked like a piece of upside down guttering above the side door so that when unlocked it still slides out the way but by over hanging the door it stops scally wags doing this new trick of pushing in the side door and pulling the top down like a tin of fish... with his upside down guttering they cant get their hands up inside to pull, very simple but highly effective... I asked him to show me it and its literally just curved metal sheet approx 5mm thick welded onto the van with a plate on the front end and then grinded to a smooth edge. for safety reasons he has a piece of foam on it.

After my van got broken into few months back I went a bit ott and now have slam locks and extra locks i have bolted on. I also had my side door welded shut and invested in a nice van vault box. as I cant afford another financial hit, the police and insurers dont give a damn... I was thinking of putting extra metal or anti cut security cables in by the metal panels behind the racking to stop the little idiots cutting through the body to reach tools.

Think I will definitely invest in some slam-locks. I like the idea of the anti-cut cable behind the racking too. My MFT is usually right next to the back door in the racking along with my drill so that would have been taken today. Luckily I have literally sent it off this morning for calibration. I have my DI Assesment next week so glad I didn't lose that.

Thanks Buzz, i like the look of the Garrison locks. And they're not too badly priced either. Did you fit them yourself or get a company to do them?

Reply to My First Van Break In...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net