Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss My First Van Break In...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    So I've just experienced my first van break in. Happened an hour ago, broad daylight with the van parked at the front of site I'm working on.

Only managed to get a drill though as a cyclist disturbed them.

How's everyone else's day?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Sorry to hear that, much damage to the van?

3. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Thanks, no just a bit of damage where they've jammed a screwdriver in the drivers door lock. Took them about 15 seconds from getting out of their car to driving off again apparently.

4. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Unreal... scum... pure scum! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Sorry to hear that. I've given you a supportive "like" ... not that I like you being robbed, not at all !

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Agreed, i suppose i'm lucky its a complete mess in there at the moment, they couldn't get to all the good stuff at the bottom somewhere.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Thanks wilko, dont worry i assumed it was a supportive like.

8. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

When I'm working, I make sure every time I get something out of my van, I double lock it afterwards. Unfortunately, the double locking has stopped working from prolonged use! Might just leave one of these in there:

upload_2017-9-12_15-10-3.jpeg

9. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I've been contemplating some deadlocks or something for a while now. Just never got round to it. But i much prefer your idea Midwest. That or some kind of trap that would make Indiana Jones quake in his fedora!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

There was some film, some years ago, that showed cars with electrocution for uninvited guests? That would be good. Fair play to the cyclist mind, still some decent law abiding people about :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I was thinking more along the lines of a mad max style self-destruct but that may just be the anger talking. Yeah, she was in the right place at the right time. They could have got away with a lot more if she hadn't gone past.

12. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

13. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

HandySparks has just upgraded the locks in his van - I'm sure he'll provide details later!

14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    need to do mine also. Garrison seems a decent price for slamlocks. only need the one. going to fit bolts to the inside of tailgate, so can only be opened from inside when these are locked in.

15. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde the lights are on but nobody is home

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services
    I like your thinking. i saw a van in my local screwfix carpark the other week, the guy had welded what looked like a piece of upside down guttering above the side door so that when unlocked it still slides out the way but by over hanging the door it stops scally wags doing this new trick of pushing in the side door and pulling the top down like a tin of fish... with his upside down guttering they cant get their hands up inside to pull, very simple but highly effective... I asked him to show me it and its literally just curved metal sheet approx 5mm thick welded onto the van with a plate on the front end and then grinded to a smooth edge. for safety reasons he has a piece of foam on it.

After my van got broken into few months back I went a bit ott and now have slam locks and extra locks i have bolted on. I also had my side door welded shut and invested in a nice van vault box. as I cant afford another financial hit, the police and insurers dont give a damn... I was thinking of putting extra metal or anti cut security cables in by the metal panels behind the racking to stop the little idiots cutting through the body to reach tools.

16. buzzlightyear

now who said nobody takes any notice of me. joking aside works for me and alarmed.

17. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Think I will definitely invest in some slam-locks. I like the idea of the anti-cut cable behind the racking too. My MFT is usually right next to the back door in the racking along with my drill so that would have been taken today. Luckily I have literally sent it off this morning for calibration. I have my DI Assesment next week so glad I didn't lose that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. buzzlightyear

19. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Thanks Buzz, i like the look of the Garrison locks. And they're not too badly priced either. Did you fit them yourself or get a company to do them?

20. buzzlightyear

they were fitted by vw .get a company to fit them for you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. buzzlightyear

don't forget to put them on the back door has well.

22. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Thanks, definitely my priority over the next few days. Definitely a wake up call. Can't risk losing anything else.

23. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I'm going to put them on every door i think. Took them no time to get into the drivers door and press the unlock button.

24. buzzlightyear

what van have you got.

25. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Transit Custom

26. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    why do you think the pikeys always buy transits? first thing they do is work out how to get in them without a key.

27. buzzlightyear

28. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I know I know! It just looked so pretty when i went van shopping!

29. Gavin John Hyde

Business Name:
    @loulew@loulew Another thing you might want to consider is maybe putting secondary doors behind the main vehicle doors so that when you open the original doors you then have a 2nd set to unlock, you can make them easily enough, with metal plate and a frame just hire a welder for the day. you can get them fitted. that way if somebody peels your doors open or forces the lock, they have to spend even more time trying to cut through couple mm thick plate metal... its like a cage that sits in the back. would certainly stop any but the most determined thief....
    something like on this link but choose solid plate rather then mesh...
    Van interior cages - Yorkshire | ProtectAVan - https://www.protectavanltd.co.uk/van-security-cages-465-c.asp

When i replace my van sometime next year i will certainly be giving the idea of an internal cage serious thought as it will stop the idiots in their tracks, and can always be removed if i sell the van.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  30. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I was actually thinking about something like this too. Could be a nice little project too, always wanted to learn a bit of welding! But then where where does it stop? Before i know it i'll end up with an armoured van! Armoured Vehicle.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  31. Gavin John Hyde

Business Name:
    There are plenty of MOD surplus armoured vehicles on the market, they are disposing of tonnes of stuff now Afghanistan is done with... The MOD auctions aren't a bad place if you are looking for a decent serviced vehicle...

• Agree Agree x 1
  32. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I find myself on the MOD auction sites every now and again. Never actually gone through with buying anything though.

33. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    this might do. also be a good bet for the next farm job.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  34. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Or for when a customer decides they don't want to pay!

• Like Like x 1
  35. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or just make a witdrawal from his bank:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  36. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    I've just replaced the driver's door lock on my Transit Custom with this:

Sussex Installations FOR3-RL-SR REP LOCK FORD CUSTOM 2013 ONWARDS - Replocks - Sussex - https://www.sussexinstallations.co.uk/products/replocks/sussex-installations-forc-l3-rep-lock-ford-custom-transit-custom-transit-custom-2013-on.html

They'll do it for you (at extra cost), but I decided to give it a go. Went fine, but it's the sort of job that takes an hour or more the first time. I could do a second one in 15 minutes.

The issue with the transit (and probably many others) is that if you can unlock the driver's door, which is the only external lock on the van, it can trigger the other doors to unlock too. So changing it to one that's harder to force and harder to pick is worth doing. I also cut the wire that connects the door lock to the central locking control, so even if the lock is forced, it still won't unlock the load compartment. You can now only unlock the rear with the correct remote key. There is a software update for some vans to do this, but I wasn't going to wait for it to be done at the next service.

See FordEtis home page - http://www.etis.ford.com under outstanding field service actions.

Select Preferences/English/UK to get it to recognise your registration number.

My next task is to disable/lock the OBD port, which can be used to program a key to turn off the standard immobiliser and alarm.

Loads of info on the Ford Transit Forum:
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - How to remove drivers door panel to replace lock with hykee - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=177300
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - Additional tips for changing to Hykee lock on your Custom - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=178850
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - Failed break in. How far could they have got? - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=178619
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - etis security update - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=181381
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - Make your Custom a lot more secure for free! - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=178018
    Ford Transit Forum • Login - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=181074
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - security - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=181087
    Ford Transit Forum • View topic - Door lock removal. - http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=171142

Couple of videos from Sussex Installations explaining the problems and solutions:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  37. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Thanks that's great. Definitely think i'll get that drivers door lock. And some slam locks for the Rear Doors.

38. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i'll be fitting a Garrison slam lock to the side loading door. 2 bolts on the inside of the tailgate. these can only be opened from inside which is no big deal. also considering disabling the driver's door lock from the central locking, as suggested by Handy Spark.

• Like Like x 1
  39. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    I'll definitely be looking in to disabling the drivers lock from the central locking. But the bolt idea wont be any good for me, i'm not always able to climb through to be able to undo them. But it's a very good idea!

40. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    On closer inspection, looks like they've had my drill bit set away too. How inconvenient!

41. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    • Like Like x 1
  42. buzzlightyear

43. Gareth Morris

Gareth Morris New EF Member

Business Name:
    Burnham Maintenance
    Mate of mine has a Makita GPS radio, awesome bit of kit. shows it on Google maps.
    He is actually looking forward to someone nicking it.

• Like Like x 2