Discuss My last 'non Amd 3' CU Install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Will have a flick through my books and see if I can dig it out

As an example - The first company i worked for had an office in a small industrial unit, TT installation with an upfront 100ma RCD, SWA sub-main from switch room to unit. A new consumer unit was put in the office we used and had 30ma RCD's. Both RCD's would operate in the event of a fault, Resulting in going to the switch room to reset.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, just gone to the page about selectivity in the book I'm currently reading and you guys are right - it says it should be s type in this case. In going to continue flicking through my books as in not sure what the hell I've read giving me this idea

Why type s? I thought 100ma would offer enough discrimination from a 30ma? Read somewhere 3 times as much, so for discrimination 90ma or higher should act independently without the need for a time delay

An S type RCD is also known as a time delayed RCD. If a 100mA RCD is installed upstream of a 30mA RCD, there will be no certainty as to which RCD will trip first. Cascading of General Type RCDs is therefore not recommended. Discrimination can only be provided by ensuring that the upstream RCD has a trip time and trip level envelope which is completely outside that of the downstream RCD. This can only be assured by using an S Type RCD upstream and General types downstream.

Last edited:
b377221ab2215e4587d2464b020b7692.jpg

Last paragraph is where I'd read it, doesn't mention s type until much later hence my confusion

p52 anyway that section is referring to mcb etc and that line is talking about discrimination between fuses/mcb

have a look at the table below (i thought i recognised the book ive got the 3rd edition)
Yep can see mcb, strange place to add an excerpt about rcd I think as all it did was throw me off

Why type s? I thought 100ma would offer enough discrimination from a 30ma? Read somewhere 3 times as much, so for discrimination 90ma or higher should act independently without the need for a time delay

Without knowing that this is not how you discriminate between rcd id like to know how you think youre in a position to offer advice on tt earthing systems?

Without knowing that this is not how you discriminate between rcd id like to know how you think youre in a position to offer advice on tt earthing systems?
Mate, see that thing under my name that says trainee? Cut me some slack OK? I wasn't saying I was right - merely stating my understanding which other members have kindly corrected me on. Not everything has to turn in to an argument, but I'm not sure you grasp that after having a glance through your posting history. Nearly everyone on here is extremely helpful, especially for people like me. I wish the same could be said about everyone, but comments like yours do the square root of jack all to add to this awesome outlet.

Hightower is a trainee which is clearly stated below his username and therefore is merely asking questions to better his learning.

**EDIT*** Hightower beat me to it but my point still stands!!

Last edited:
how? it is relatively easy in a lot of places to get a really low ra so why is an additional rcd needed in all cases

Well believe it or not its not there are people who out there who dont adhere to such high standards, theyll whack a 3/8 twig in on top of a mountain and leave with there big cheque, have seen in numerous occasions out in rural areas!

Reply to My last 'non Amd 3' CU Install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net