Discuss My Website in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mr.Si

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

If anyone is game for a laugh, here is my new website. Most of the photos on there are of my house and are the best I have at the moment.

I'm trying to make it informative, yet keeping brief.

Your thoughts are welcome.

www <dot> simonbarrett <dot> co <dot> uk, or see my signature.

Blessings,
Si

Oer, personally I don't like all the black, and forgive me but did I miss your home/business address and mobile numbers? Are you Part P?

Did you put it together yourself? I think it looks very nicely done.

There was a problem with the way it viewed on my browser, I'm using Opera and the page didn't load with scroll bars and several elements appeared on top of each other.

Here's a screen print;

untitled1.jpg

It might be a browser compatibility issue with the style sheet script at a wild guess.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Murdoch, You are right, I have missed off my phone number! I shall amend that. I am not part p yet, but will be joining elecsa as soon as i can.

Mark, I think they were rountrees pick 'n' mix sweets!

Thanks for the views on the black. It was an historical colour scheme from a previous design. That can change.

Marvo, thanks for the compliments... It is actually a design my friend made for me a few years back and so i have been getting used to css. I have adjusted the content as it was more for a sound business that i never started in the end. I edited it in dreamweaver cs 5.5 and tested in ie, ff and chrome. Thanks for the heads up about opera. I take it you are a mac user - Do you have safari?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II via Tapatalk

Last edited:
i thought i recognised it as fruit pastilles. still drooling! i noticed 1 mistake (is should have been has i think) apart from that i think its grand IMO. although im on my 2nd bottle of wine and listening to lily allen!

No, definitely not a Mac user....pah! :)

I run Opera on a WinXP OS. I just prefer the script execution security it gives and I've always found it more stable than the Mozilla offerings. I've used Opera since the Bork Edition prompted me to move away from IE.

*Edit* I like the black theme but saying that I also like goth looking girls......each to his own :)

Last edited:
I don't actually mind the colour and think it stands out from ever other sparks websites that all look the same! and what you do need is to stand out get customers to remember you!!!!

nice basic site there Si Black on white is a bit of a dislike for me tho and as others have said Phone numbers Office address I personaly never deal with anyone who doesnt have a Phone number or address even on an enquiry basis

I think it looks nice generally but I'm afraid I struggle with white on black like others here.
One small bug is that if you click on the burnt CU on the fault finding page it gives file not found.

I agree, actually, that white on black is not easy on the eye. I like the black background though and the general colour scheme. What I noticed was that Grey on black looked easier on the eye, so I have done that.

I have also added my phone number. I don't have a business address, but you can one on the top of the CV that is downloadable (my home).

I have also fixed the BurntCable image - it turns out that in Linux, not only are file names case sensitive (I knew that much) but so are the file extensions! so JPG and jpg are different, even though they are the same.

Content-wise though, is it OK? (Mainly in terms of the electrical side of things).

Much better with the grey I think.

Content wise I don't see any problems although I would say that it comes across that you are just starting out and have so far not done much work. This might be the wrong impression but something to think about if you using the website to sell yourself.

Much better with the grey I think.

Content wise I don't see any problems although I would say that it comes across that you are just starting out and have so far not done much work. This might be the wrong impression but something to think about if you using the website to sell yourself.

You are not mistaken, I am indeed just starting out and my workmanship definitely shows that. I am looking for improver work around my part of the country but still am hoping to at least make a start and get myself on the web, hence this site.

Hopefully i can get some better pictures soon and upgrade the content to more professional words etc.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II via Tapatalk

mmmm i dunno to be honest with you... Id give it a 3 and a half out of 5.. I think you should write it coming from your point of view rather than "simon did this and simon done that" you know what i mean? Im about to do mine in the next couple of months/weeks so we could probably bounce off each other n help each other out..maybe?.

ummm... a few spelling mistakes. It has been well written though ill give you that. It might just be me but ive seen that picture of the cables so many times id probably want to change that a little.

Name and contact details need to probably be the first thing a customer would want to see... And make ur qualifications stand out a little more Be proud of it u worked hard for it. ;)

I think you should bring the black box up a little more.. Keep it symmetrical lol It seems like i can scroll down and see more but i cant.

i think thats about it.. other than that its great to meet another fellow sound engineer

u have done a great job with your website.. try and grab a few more ideas of other electricians websites'

stay cool

Thanks for the on-going help. I have made a few updates, mainly regarding the contact information and changing from 3rd person to 1st person. Something my Wife recommended I do too.

I am based in Sussex, fyi.

Also, I think we may have quite a few noise-boys on here Nick.

Reply to My Website in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net