• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss N.Power and Smart Meters letter today in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a letter today from my energy supplier, saying that they are in the process of installing Smart meters to all of their Customers, and will be informing me within the next couple of weeks, when they will be coming to change my Meters over, question is can I refuse? Your thoughts and answer will be appreciated.

If you have house insurance which covers electric fires you should be ok......

In all seriousness it should be your choice to have or not ?
Thanks, what rules can I quote when I get the date for the installation? do you have any ideas? don't want to get in stoock with the Lectric Police.

I have had EON contact me by phone, letter and email telling my meter is being phased out and must be replaced, none of this is true.

I'm with Ovo and they keep hassling, they don't get anywhere though...

I’m with eon and got mine (gas and elec) fitted about 6 months ago.
Have had no bother with them, the guy who did the work was pleasant enough and knowledgable on their operation.
On his arrival I said to him “I’ve cleared the meter cupboard out for you, I’m an electrician so I know what it’s like when there full of clutter”
He did the gas meter first, then spent ages on the electric meter, I think he took longer to do a better job! Which to be fair it was.
Any reason why to be against them?

Have had no bother with them, the guy who did the work was pleasant enough and knowledgable on their operation.
On his arrival I said to him “I’ve cleared the meter cupboard out for you, I’m an electrician so I know what it’s like when there full of clutter”
He did the gas meter first, then spent ages on the electric meter, I think he took longer to do a better job! Which to be fair it was.
No not really just got ticked off when they said "we will let you know when" and wondered if I could refuse, just to be a nuisance. I will agree but will be watching like a Hawk, and asking questions, I intent to be the customer from hell.

They are not compatible between suppliers, so when you want to change your supplier you have to change your meter again!

There are reports of them not recording accurately..

Anyway, all these are about is making meter readers redundant ........ they do not contribute to anything "green" ....

To big brotherish imo. Can tell what your using, when your using it etc. It's more unnecessary data collection. From this they can work out rough times your in and out of the house, when your most likely to be at home and so on.

They are not compatible between suppliers, so when you want to change your supplier you have to change your meter again!

There are reports of them not recording accurately..

Anyway, all these are about is making meter readers redundant ........ they do not contribute to anything "green" ....
Understan what you are saying

KGB in cognito
lol they could plunge us all in to darkness at the hit of a button....I'll just go and fetch my tinfoil hat :D on a serious note though Pete it's what they do with the data they collect. Say they could work out when your most likely to be in or out from your usage and this gets put in to a data base. Could be sold off to the likes of telesales company's...

Reply to N.Power and Smart Meters letter today in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back