Discuss Napit, NICEIC, Elecsa? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SamJ

-
Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum.
Ive just completed my 17th Edition, have my ECS card and I want to go self employed. What is the best scheme for me to join?

You'll find the only scheme joe public is aware of is the NICEIC. Same applies to commercial. I find I'm regularly contacted because we are NICEIC approved, or I am asked whether we are.
I very much doubt anyone has ever been asked "Are you Stroma approved"?
That said if you are only looking for a means to comply with part P I'd agree with Murdoch. Go with the cheapest.

Stroma, I was with NIC but the renewal was nigh on £800 I just thought I don't care if you are more popular I am just not paying that it is not worth it, and I find them rude brusque and arrogant. Maybe if I turned over a lot more but no not at my level. And the thing about Stroma, apart from people mistaking it for colon care, is that I am registered for third party certification. You can not do that with NIC, they will not allow it. I don't know who they think they are.

Stroma, I was with NIC but the renewal was nigh on £800 I just thought I don't care if you are more popular I am just not paying that it is not worth it, and I find them rude brusque and arrogant. Maybe if I turned over a lot more but no not at my level. And the thing about Stroma, apart from people mistaking it for colon care, is that I am registered for third party certification. You can not do that with NIC, they will not allow it. I don't know who they think they are.
I don't think any of them should offer third party certification.

I don't know how much you know about Stroma requirements re third party. However there are quite stringent requirements to doing third party. The other party must submit to me prior to work, design plans including calcs etc. and drawings for my approval. Method statements and risk assessments. I must inspect and approve and test first and second fix work and it must be done according to what I stipulate. I suspect I will never end up doing any personally due to the above. I would be hard put to agree it dumbs the notifiable works process down. I think if you jumped through all those hoops you may as well certify your own works. It is a bit catch 22 really. But it is nice to have it in my quiver nonetheless, you never know what may come your way.

I see you've disagreed with my post mate, fine but I really don't see why. I wasn't claiming the NIC are the best, you are correct in noting their arrogance. However I would still maintain they are the only scheme widely known.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever opened an enquiry to you regarding work with..."before I ask you to quote, are you Stroma approved"?

I see you've disagreed with my post mate, fine but I really don't see why. I wasn't claiming the NIC are the best, you are correct in noting their arrogance. However I would still maintain they are the only scheme widely known.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever opened an enquiry to you regarding work with..."before I ask you to quote, are you Stroma approved"?

I see you've disagreed with my post mate
My disagree with your post was absolutely nothing personal. It was really more a comment on the fact that I have not met anyone in forty or more years who has asked about NIC or even has the faintest clue of what any of these schemes are about. I do try to explain to customers, their eyes glaze over and they go all vague and start wandering off in a trance. In my experience despite all the hype most people haven't a clue about schemes and really are not interested. It is all a storm in the tea-cup of electricians alone. Everyone else in the world could not give a flying feck, its only us that are obsessed with it oh yeh and the carpetbaggers pickpocketing our hard earned alongside all the other buzzards circling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Napit, NICEIC, Elecsa? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net