Discuss nearly killed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bugsy

Had a call to quote for a PIR on Saturday @ 10pm asking if I could do it that night , well it's my misses birthday and were in Whitsateble so I told the guy Id phone him Sunday afternoon, had three calls on Sunday morning ( which I did'nt answer , same guy wanting urgent PIR)
I phoned him Sunday 5pm and he was in real panic about getting this PIR on a property he had rented out so I arranged an appointment for Monday and he gave me the tanants number. I contacted the tennant to confirm appointment .
All became clear when I arrived , the tennant had received an electric shock from a screw on the kitchen plate switch which took him off his feet and put him out for two hours, he was found by his wife and rushed to hospital ( an old metal clad box plastic plate fixed by two wood screws one of which had peirced a cable further inspection unearthed 2.5 running under the carpet feeding a broken double socket , all metal light fittings - no cpc, a radial with 5 dsso stuufed into a ring ocpd (32a) showers wired in 2.5mm

Phoned the landlord and told him needed rewiring, smoke alarms and CM alarm,
he tried to tell he did;nt need the smokes or CM alarm so dont price for and just make the other stuff good are could I hide it

Im still fuming , I m gonna calm down before I phone him - Oh and the tennant has an eight year old little girl.

Many landlords like that a little south of you towards Golders green.....

Always in a hurry and hoping you will accept cash etc and only do what they want!!
Councils etc should run a "Hot line" so we can inform etc .

Mind you 2 x hours on the deck sound like he got well and truly zapped

Sad m8. Ive not had a great weekend either done a quote for a bar about a week ago, the regs here in Spain state all cable tox free and the tubing we put the singles in also tox free.......... He asks me if i can just use crap cable and tube from local BnQ type of outlet in walls and ceiling and tape ........TAPE tox free ends on where they can be seen in the words of Del what a plonker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bugs if he won't pay up and want's you to make it all go away for cash, just tell him the smokes and rewire ARE required and if the work isn't booked then you have a legal obligation to alert the council.

Has there ever been an inspection in the property? I'll stick a fiver on it that there hasn't. Just another case of greedy landlords putting people at risk for the sake or a couple of quid.

issue him with a dangerous installation notice. say its to cover your own back and to pass the responsibility on to him, then give a photocopy to the tenant and tell them to go to her council .

A call from the injured party to the H&S boys could really rattle the landlord.

Bugs if he won't pay up and want's you to make it all go away for cash, just tell him the smokes and rewire ARE required and if the work isn't booked then you have a legal obligation to alert the council.

Has there ever been an inspection in the property? I'll stick a fiver on it that there hasn't. Just another case of greedy landlords putting people at risk for the sake or a couple of quid.
apparently he bought the propert at auction on the 1st of December and put the tenants in three days after he completed, no check's he did'nt even have gas safr inspection until today

I would advice him to take it further if the landlord won't rectify the installation. At the end of the day he could have died and this moron still wants to cut corners.

Many landlords like that a little south of you towards Golders green.....

Always in a hurry and hoping you will accept cash etc and only do what they want!!
Councils etc should run a "Hot line" so we can inform etc .

Mind you 2 x hours on the deck sound like he got well and truly zapped

Yea they kept him in overnight strapped upto CCG , they dischaged him but he has got a heart monitor strapped to him, the severity of this really supprised me considering the amount of belts we get over the year ( self inflicted )

I'd give a copy of the PIR to the tenant.
I would have given the tenant photos as well. Whatever you do, make sure you cover yourself with everything in writing, this guy obviously doesn't give a ----.

Reply to nearly killed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock