Discuss Need advice on hob, oven and circuit combo. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

4ntonio

Hello Sparkies, …..I need advice.

I currently have a ceramic hob that is on a dedicated 30 amp circuit and a fan oven with a 13 amp plug on the ring main.

The oven has reached the end of its life and I have to buy a new one, at the same time I would like to change the ancient hob for a new induction hob.

I would like to know if the same 30 amp circuit can be used (using a splitter) to hard wire both the hob and oven and meet current regulations.

My understanding (from what I have read on the web) is that maximum load for a 30 amp circuit would be 240 volts * 30 amps = 7200 KW. Allowing for a 20 % safety margin that would give me 5.76 KW for an oven and hob combined.

I have found an affordable oven (2.4KW) and induction hob (2.9KW) combination that I like totalling to 5.3 KW.

Are my calculations correct? Would it be safe and legal? Could I get a combo closer to the 7.2 KW? Or do I need a higher rated circuit?

Thanks and best wishes,
antonio

Why on earth do you want a 20% safety margin? What safety does that give you?

Calculate the demand using the tried and tested diversity calculations, you'll find the new oven and job combo you have chosen requires just over 13A

Thanks for your reply. I dont know the diversity calculation but will look it up. My understanding from your reply is that it would be quite safe for a splitter to be used without having to upgrade my 30 amp circuit.
When I said safety margin I meant that at max load it would still be 20% under the total permited load for a 30amp circuit.(Or what I understand to be the max permited load)
Why on earth do you want a 20% safety margin? What safety does that give you?

Calculate the demand using the tried and tested diversity calculations, you'll find the new oven and job combo you have chosen requires just over 13A

Thanks for your reply. I dont know the diversity calculation but will look it up. My understanding from your reply is that it would be quite safe for a splitter to be used without having to upgrade my 30 amp circuit.
When I said safety margin I meant that at max load it would still be 20% under the total permited load for a 30amp circuit.(Or what I understand to be the max permited load)

30A would be the max demand calculated after allowing for diversity, allowing 20% factors not specified in the regulations will only achieve incorrect protection of circuits, it will have no positive effect on safety.

What exactly do you mean by a splitter? I am not aware of any product for fixed wiring which would be described as this.

What exactly do you mean by a splitter? I am not aware of any product for fixed wiring which would be described as this.

I'm assuming he means a dual CCU (Cooker Connection Unit), but as i stated earlier this thread should be in the DIY section!! It's quite obvious that the OP is not an electrician of any description....

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I do mean a dual cooker connection unit. Sorry to have posted question on the wrong forum.
Best wishes, Antonio
I'm assuming he means a dual CCU (Cooker Connection Unit), but as i stated earlier this thread should be in the DIY section!! It's quite obvious that the OP is not an electrician of any description....

Reply to Need advice on hob, oven and circuit combo. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock