Discuss Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm not accusing anyone, so don't take it wrong, but to hear such rubbish from an 'qualified' electrician is a bit more unusual than to hear a load of bull from a landlord.
There seems to be an awful lot of knowing without understanding what exactly has gone on.

As others have said an Electrical Installation Condition Report would be recommended.
Looking at the cables I would imagine some are imperial (7/029) cables from the 1960s- ish. If that is the case you may find that the lighting circuit does not have a protective conductor (earth wire)

As others have said an Electrical Installation Condition Report would be recommended.
Looking at the cables I would imagine some are imperial (7/029) cables from the 1960s- ish. If that is the case you may find that the lighting circuit does not have a protective conductor (earth wire)
Only one way to find out, EICR, and be done with it, don't fight it, better to know now than later.

He pulled out the fuse for the lighting circuit and tried switching it on and the rcd kept tripping then done the same with the socket circuit and the same again then finally pulled out all fuses and tried switching it on and yet again the rcd tripped again, has anyone here maybe a fix for his as the electric needs to be on tomorrow for some plasterers, I have been trying to do research but have no luck

He pulled out the fuse for the lighting circuit and tried switching it on and the rcd kept tripping then done the same with the socket circuit and the same again then finally pulled out all fuses and tried switching it on and yet again the rcd tripped again, has anyone here maybe a fix for his as the electric needs to be on tomorrow for some plasterers, I have been trying to do research but have no luck
The snow is to blame Sam M4 corridor all messed up, sorry no help really, just trying to be a SA

RCDs trip when they sense an imbalance between the line and neutral conductors which are usually balanced. This imbalance is usually to earth.
If the RCD is still tripping with all fuses (line conductor) removed, this would suggest a fault between neutral and earth.
Look again at all the work done by the electrician today and the light fitting that appeared to cause the initial fault.

To catch a neutral with a faceplate screw is not uncommon when replacing accessories if not careful.
I have done so and all cables don’t seem to be damaged, very curious to what has actually happened, beginning to think he has done some purposely in order to get himself more work

Maybe a complete coincidence that the RCD tripped whilst he was there but he should not have left leaving you with no power.

Are there any outside lights or garage supplies that water has gotten into. Have you tried unplugging all appliances, switching off the cooker switch, boiler spur and any other spurs. Then try to reset the RCD.

Maybe a complete coincidence that the RCD tripped whilst he was there but he should not have left leaving you with no power.

Are there any outside lights or garage supplies that water has gotten into. Have you tried unplugging all appliances, switching off the cooker switch, boiler spur and any other spurs. Then try to reset the RCD.
The rcd is only connected to the old consumer unit which in that consumer unit is the lights and sockets only pictures have been uploaded to explain the situation

The rcd is only connected to the old consumer unit which in that consumer unit is the lights and sockets only pictures have been uploaded to explain the situation

Of course it could be a faulty RCD. It does happen. Need to test the current flow on the earth to check and do some ramp tests to rule that out.

Hi Sam. Regardless of the problem you have now, you should have an EICR carried out before letting a property. In Scotland you can't legally let a property without one, don't know about England. But regardless of the laws your conscience should tell you it is necessary. The first thing I noticed from your photos is the RCD with no enclosure and nice big exposed terminals. Nice and easy for someone to get a shock from there and I don't think the courts would look favourably on you as the landlord.

And still no mention of the ??? or electrician with test kit out.
If he has taken out each fuse/protective device off and no joy then at least he could take out a neutral one at a time until the tripping stops identifying the faulty circuit and get the other circuits on.

That poor RCD! For goodness sake, power off then insulation test the circuits to narrow the fault to one circuit. Then split it down from there. If I reset an MCB or RCD and it immediately trips I don't attempt to reset it again until I have located and cleared the fault.

UPDATE

It is the old ring main which is causing it to trip, when the ring main is disconnected from the consumer unit power comes back on fine

UPDATE

It is the old ring main which is causing it to trip, when the ring main is disconnected from the consumer unit power comes back on fine
At least it has been narrowed down so that the other circuits can be switched on. Now the electrician needs to get his insulation resistance tester out ( he has got one hasn't he?).
Was socket front plates been changed on this circuit?

UPDATE

when you say disconnected, do you mean both L and N, or is it just the breaker/fuse off/out?

Reply to Need help/advice, insure of what the problem is and think I’m being ripped off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock