Discuss Need Help And Advice With What Electrical Course I Should Be Looking For?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a newbie here so go easy on me if I come across as a bit dense please.

I'm 42 and for the past ten months have been working as a mechanical field service engineer for a company that sell and maintain machinery in the fresh produce business, think large scale fruit/veg weighing, punnet denesting, punnet filling, conveyors and a lot more. I actually spent 14 years as a mechanical engineer (until 2007) on different machines and in that time I obviously did pick up some electrical knowledge, but this new job shows me just how little I actually know. This isn't an issue to my company as at no point have I lied about my electrical prowess, but they have asked if I could look into what courses are available to me as the 'go to' electrician has suddenly upped sticks and left.

I have a (very) basic knowledge of fault finding by reading wiring diagrams, but I'll be honest, quite a lot of the time I'll stumble across the fix then I'll be able to look back and understand what was wrong, but I'd obviously prefer to see and understand whats wrong first.

The machinery is predominantly 3 phase supply and driven by PLC's and contactors. I need to understand signalling so one machine can tell another machine its ready. I believe these are normally 24v ac and dc signals.

Course wise, I'm field based and my company has asked me for all possible connotations, be it evening course, day release, internet course etc etc so they can make an informed decision on what will suit my needs best.

I live nr Spalding/Boston in Lincolnshire and my company is in Peterborough.

I have probably missed out loads of relevant information for which I apologise, but please let me know what extra info might be required and I'll do my best to answer.

Huge thanks for any information you can give me.

Wayne

I'm not 100% sure but I think you will need to start on the city & guilds 2365 level 2 course.

From the OP it looks like he is wanting more of the electronic stuff, PLC's, contractors etc, not the actual installation stuff, so I'm not sure the 2365 would be of any great use in this situation. Look into this course - level 3 National Diploma in Electrical, Electronic Engineering. It's 1 day a week for 2 years. Also try the link below that has some basic revision materials you might find helpful.

www.bertinspeaks.co.uk

Jay

Reply to Need Help And Advice With What Electrical Course I Should Be Looking For?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock