Discuss Need Help At Four Stroke Combustion Engine in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jon Russ

Hi,

I’m making a training tool/website to help people learn about engineering, but I’ve got a bit of a problem. I was working on 3D model of an engine and labelling parts etc. but there is one piece whose function I do not known (see below image).

I’ve asked around but no one I know seems to know what it is. The second below image is a close-up.

This is what I do know:

• Lit is belt driven so it turns (possibly centrifugal filter?).
• The pulley is small so it turns fast.
• There seems to be a connection to the lube oil sump.
• There are jubilee clips so it is easy to remove (which again points to some sort of filter).

So, does anyone know what it is? Item ‘2’ on the below image is for a lube oil filter (probably, informed guess), so why would they have a secondary filter on the suction side of the lube oil system (assuming that it is a filter and it is related to the lube oil system)?

The model can be found at the link below, it is interactive so you can zoom in to get a better look etc.

Full Screen Four Stroke Combustion Engine - http://www.3d-knowledge.com/full-screen-four-stroke-combustion-engine.html

Any help is welcomed!!!

Need Help At Four Stroke Combustion Engine {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Need Help At Four Stroke Combustion Engine {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I think that might be a diesel engine. The big item you've highlighted looks like the starter motor and I'd guess the smaller cylindrical thing behind it is the solenoid that switches the electrical supply to the starter. The two bolts side by side toward the top of the starter in its centre would be the positive and negative electrical terminals. The various other bolts you highlighted would be retaining bolts that tighten the retaining straps/clamps around the starter. The circular thingamabob on the front of the starter is a toothed pulley wheel that drives the belt.

No that is some sort of pump, those two connections centre top are pipe lines. The starter motor is to the right of it, see the 3D image.

I reckon it is an oil circulating pump from the connection points. That 3D image is great.

I couldn't get the 3D image to load on my 12 year old laptop with its 256 megs of Ram and WindowsXP :(

It is excellent been could look at it for ages. The starter and solenoid are numbered 19 and 20.

I can't see the other annotations either because I can only get the 360 degree view. I'll check it out on my work PC tomorrow which is a few years younger than this one.

Got to be a lubrication pump as one of the pipes goes to the sump.

Hi bud,looks like a bypass oil filter,as there is an element oil filter higher up. The drive would suggest a centrifugal type filter,which actually work very well.

Scania,Zetor and many others use these,some only have these fitted,and it is surprising how hard and dry,the deposits are,which centrifugal force removes from the oil.

Could be an oil cooled alternator. They do exist, but whether they're fitted in the suction line, I don't know. Can't see an alternator otherwise.

Edit: There are also what appear to be a couple of studs on the non-driven end, which might be output terminals.

Had another look at the 3D image,good fun,but i think it is a generic image,therefore not easy to know what actually is real.

The line to the sump,is a return,as lubrication suction lines are always as short as possible and rarely external. The other line comes straight from where the main oil gallery would be,so that would be the centrifugal filters feed,via a flow restrictor.

If this is to be a training or instructional aid,might i suggest using an actual manufactured engine,with authentic parts,which can be detailed individually,and their function explained.

Start with suck-squeeze-bang-puff,and work towards all other four stroke principles.

I can remember with joyous clarity,the evening i stripped an old NSU Quickly moped engine,and pieced together,how a crank,moved a piston,and the rings stopped the compression escaping,allowing the entrapped mixture to be ignited... i was 10 years old!

All this will be comedy,when my two sons are cruising about on ion hover-boards;)

If you tap on no.23 on the 3D image it clearly states that pipe is the link from the sump to the oil lubrication pump.

Snowhead is right, I put the comments on with educated guesses, I had no other reference. Based on all the feedback I got here and elsewhere, it seems to be a scavenger pump for a dry sump system, although the alternator is not shown on the model and I am trying to figure out if this part is a combination of both.

@PEG - "Start with suck-squeeze-bang-puff,and work towards all other four stroke principles." - I have done this on other webpages, but I need to order everything correctly. The internals are shown in the below image, there is a separate page for this and it is animated to show how the parts move.

View attachment 35484

Luckily you have come to the right forum for internal combustion engines. I can say with absolute certainty that I do not have a clue.

That is not an alternator it has an oil line in and out with no means of cooling/ventilation. The 3D image clearly indicates a lubrication pump.

Reply to Need Help At Four Stroke Combustion Engine in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock