Discuss Need help from a genius in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sjw450

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hey thanks for checking this out,
I'm not a spark but I am pretty competent in anything if someone shows me or tells me how to do it.
I wasn't to hard wire 4x triangular kitchen under cabinet lights into somewhere and not sure15394558699576441459036639056420.jpg 15394559226752645722091005733300.jpg where,
My cooker hood, fridge, hob and dishwasher all have switches on one plate with a spare switch or space for a new switch and also the llafe shows a fuse, can I wire these lights into the spare switch or connect them in with the cooker hood, also how do I connect the 4 lights together they all have 1x 1.5m cable on them with a live and neutral any help would be much appreciated

15394559853923175425069159394104.jpg

Is there no wiring point for under cab lighting? Most often it can be found above the units.

Is there a bridging shelf between the wall units?

Hey, No bridging shelf, I'm a tiler and I'm going to tile splashback after I have worked the lights so I don't mind making a channel for cables, what's your thoughts
Cheers

Hey thanks for checking this out,
I'm not a spark but I am pretty competent in anything if someone shows me or tells me how to do it.
I wasn't to hard wire 4x triangular kitchen under cabinet lights into somewhere and not sureView attachment 44849 View attachment 44850 where,
My cooker hood, fridge, hob and dishwasher all have switches on one plate with a spare switch or space for a new switch and also the llafe shows a fuse, can I wire these lights into the spare switch or connect them in with the cooker hood, also how do I connect the 4 lights together they all have 1x 1.5m cable on them with a live and neutral any help would be much appreciated

View attachment 44851
Seek the help of an Electrician, as step by step advice on DIY electricalwork is not something we are not allowed to do.

“Need help from a genius”?

You’ll be wanting the genius forum, then. Down the corridor, third door on the right between weight watchers and the flower arranging class.

Seriously though, if you want to do this yourself, have you thought about fitting a plug and plugging them into a socket?
The work involved in using the grid switch could be more trouble than its worth for a self proclaimed non spark.

Yeah I though about that, make a new socket above both sides of cooker hood and I also thought about connecting an fcu to a socket and then connecting light switch to it and then lights
What would you suggest

Hey, No bridging shelf, I'm a tiler and I'm going to tile splashback after I have worked the lights so I don't mind making a channel for cables, what's your thoughts
Cheers
Is this a new kitchen that's been installed?

It's a brand new house I've moved into that had no extras for lighting etc, I just want someone to tell me best idea from the photos and I'll tackle it, just want to light worktop a bit before tiling

Hi @Sjw450 we allow DIY questions on this forum but members are not going to give you a step by step guide of what to do as per the forum rules. I hope you can appreciate this. Thanks Lee

Just looking for best option and I'll work out the steps, is it possible to connect the 4 cabinet lights to the cooker hood lights?

The lights are LED by the looks of them, so very small load, Doubling them up with the hood would work fine.
The cables are less than 1.5mm, possibly only 0.75mm, so you have to fuse them down with an FCU, or plugtop.

Great thanks
Doubling up at the cooker hood end or from the cooker hood switch on the grid plate
Thanks again

I would take a look in the cooker hood chimney, it's possible it's just plugged in (and most likely with a 3A fuse in the plug).

As has already been pointed out by another member of staff, the forum's policy is not to provide step by step guides for DIYers. With each post this is getting closer and closer to becoming a guide.

Whilst this might seem a simple job there are many things to consider in order for it to be done properly and most importantly for it to be safe. This includes adequate testing of the modified installation, which you're unlikely to be able to do as you're not going to have the equipment to do it.

The best advice is to consult a local electrician (you're in the trades, do you know a local sparks who could help you out?). As there appears to be a supply at the cooker hood that could be used, and you seem like you're up for any making good that's required, it shouldn't be a huge job (I'd be looking at a couple of hours - if that - based purely on the pictures).

For the reasons I've outlined above, I'm closing this thread. Please feel free to start a new thread if you'd like to see if there are any members close by who could come and take a look at the job for you.

Reply to Need help from a genius in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net