Discuss Need help wiring a Extractor Fan in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JayKay70

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some help wiring a extractor fan.

At present i have a fan that is running of a 3 amp Isolator+Transformer and then going straight to the light fitting, i am looking to replace this fan with a more modern type one as the one i have right now is a eyesore and don't fancy keeping it as i am decorating the bathroom.

I am looking to getting rid of the Fan+Isolator+Transformer and getting a new one that will be fitted to a Isolator switch (to be fitted outside the bathroom just above the door) and from the Isolator to the light switch and then to the light fitting.....so basically:

Fan>Isolator Switch>Light Switch>Light Fitting

The fan i am looking to get is the: Envirovent Silent 100 T Design (With Timer)
Manual is here: https://www.envirovent.com/product-downloads/SILENT_100_DESIGN_install_guide.pdf

I have provided the following in pictures:

Present light switch
Present light fittings

And a diagram i drew up of how i was going to wire it all togethor, this is the big question, is the diagram correct or am i just completly wrong?

Looking forward to your thoughts

p.s Can any answers be as simple as possible as i am not good at electric terminology:confused:

All the best

Jay

Light Switch-min-min.JPG

Light Fitting-min.jpg

Diagram-min.jpg

Hi all,

Looking for some help wiring a extractor fan.

At present i have a fan that is running of a 3 amp Isolator+Transformer and then going straight to the light fitting, i am looking to replace this fan with a more modern type one as the one i have right now is a eyesore and don't fancy keeping it as i am decorating the bathroom.

I am looking to getting rid of the Fan+Isolator+Transformer and getting a new one that will be fitted to a Isolator switch (to be fitted outside the bathroom just above the door) and from the Isolator to the light switch and then to the light fitting.....so basically:

Fan>Isolator Switch>Light Switch>Light Fitting

The fan i am looking to get is the: Envirovent Silent 100 T Design (With Timer)
Manual is here: https://www.envirovent.com/product-downloads/SILENT_100_DESIGN_install_guide.pdf

I have provided the following in pictures:

Present light switch
Present light fittings

And a diagram i drew up of how i was going to wire it all togethor, this is the big question, is the diagram correct or am i just completly wrong?

Looking forward to your thoughts

p.s Can any answers be as simple as possible as i am not good at electric terminology:confused:

All the best

Jay

View attachment 45658

View attachment 45659

View attachment 45660
my brain hurts. that diagram looks more like the flight recorder from an aircrash documentary.

Hi JayKay, welcome to the forum. You probably won't like this, but I think you should employ an electrician to carry out this work. From your pictures, it already looks as if somebody has had a bash at the existing wiring. As the install is in a bathroom (special location in electrical parley), it will need RCD protection and/or the bonding will need checking. Forum rules prevent a step by step guide.

Thanks all for the info, think i will just bite the bullet and just keep the one i have as it's been over two weeks now trying to figure out how to replace it with a slimline version....way to much hassle....never know, the council mitght just upgrade it in the near futureo_O

Forgot to add, to be honest it's a very very good extractor fan, does a real good job, just a shame it's so damm ugly, well not so ugly, just so big...i.e deep in size:eek:

Reply to Need help wiring a Extractor Fan in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net