Discuss Need help with control panels. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is there anything out there to help me get my head round control panels and control circuits. I was stuck at a job trying to get a metal barrel press to work automatically. Press start button, press comes down, squashes everything, pressure switch activates and it comes back up and hits the limit switch to stop the cycle. Best I could do was to have it working without even pressing a button but it would go up and down at will, unless the door was open, limit switch through the e-stop.

Had to leave as a manual job, hold start button in, install new limit switch at bottom of press so they cant hold the button in for the pressure to keep building. Then another button to bring the press up to hit the top limit switch and stop there. Pump would still run if holding the button in but if at either limit it wouldnt move, unless in the opposite direction.

Im sure this is a basic circuit with a relay but Ive never built a panel before and would like to learn a lot more. This hurt my head and frustrated me and I dont fancy going through it anymore, I need more knowledge.

Thanks

This is not the way to learn you could end up with a whole pile of grief were someone to get injured or killed through something you may have or not done.

Is there anything out there to help me get my head round control panels and control circuits. I was stuck at a job trying to get a metal barrel press to work automatically. Press start button, press comes down, squashes everything, pressure switch activates and it comes back up and hits the limit switch to stop the cycle. Best I could do was to have it working without even pressing a button but it would go up and down at will, unless the door was open, limit switch through the e-stop.

Had to leave as a manual job, hold start button in, install new limit switch at bottom of press so they cant hold the button in for the pressure to keep building. Then another button to bring the press up to hit the top limit switch and stop there. Pump would still run if holding the button in but if at either limit it wouldnt move, unless in the opposite direction.

Im sure this is a basic circuit with a relay but Ive never built a panel before and would like to learn a lot more. This hurt my head and frustrated me and I dont fancy going through it anymore, I need more knowledge.

Thanks
Best option, get the maintenance Electrician involved to give yu some pointers, if there is one that is.

asa bove .stay away unless or until you are totally competent with this sort of machinery., and the appropriate regulations and safety issues.

You do realise you've just openly admitted on a forum to breaking statutory laws. Power presses not only fall under EN60204 but have their own very specific regulations.

I'd recommend you get a company in to correct your work and re certifie the machine before it hurts someone and you end up in court.

The only way to learn is to work with someone who knows what they are doing for a number of years.

The regulations on this sort of thing are law, and what you have done here has quite possibly broken said law. If you're lucky you'll get a fine, if you're unlucky you'll end up in prison and have the death of a person on your conscience

The only way to learn is to work with someone who knows what they are doing for a number of years.

The regulations on this sort of thing are law, and what you have done here has quite possibly broken said law. If you're lucky you'll get a fine, if you're unlucky you'll end up in prison and have the death of a person on your conscience

Nothing quite possible about it, from what he describes he definitely has.

The Firm's fault for letting the poor Guy work unsupervised, need their bottys smacked

The firm will fall foul under PUWER and CE certifying the press.

His fault if anyone is hurt or killed and it will be him in court and prison if it does.

Not wanting to scare monger, just stating facts here as I and am sure everyone else doesn't want to see someone end up in prison or dead for a lack of knowledge.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg236.pdf

Doesn't contain everything needed but will offer guidance in places to start looking.

The firm will fall foul under PUWER and CE certifying the press.

His fault if anyone is hurt or killed and it will be him in court and prison if it does.

Not wanting to scare monger, just stating facts here as I and am sure everyone else doesn't want to see someone end up in prison or dead for a lack of knowledge.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg236.pdf

Doesn't contain everything needed but will offer guidance in places to start looking.
I would have thought Rob that although Alan has worked on this equipment, rightly or wrongly the ultimate responsibility lies with the CEO of this firm, any death would be corporate Manslaughter,,Death and any injury would involve the HSE, and regardless of who said what the buck stops at the top of the management structure, or have the rules changed recently?

I would have thought Rob that although Alan has worked on this equipment, rightly or wrongly the ultimate responsibility lies with the CEO of this firm, any death would be corporate Manslaughter,,Death and any injury would involve the HSE, and regardless of who said what the buck stops at the top of the management structure, or have the rules changed recently?

If the death occurs as a result of his actions then he will be prosecuted for it, his superiors will also be investigated and as you say will probably also be prosecuted if found to be at fault.
It is obvious from the opening post that he is fully aware that this is outside of his competence and that he has taken it upon himself to modify the controls of the machine. There is no mention of his superiors having instructed him to do anything, or even being aware that he was doing this job.
For all we know he could have been sent there to do an unrelated job but was asked to 'have a quick a look whilst you're here' by someone on site.

Rules haven't changed. Yes the CEO will likely be in court with him, and the company will likely face larger fines.

If the death occurs as a result of his actions then he will be prosecuted for it, his superiors will also be investigated and as you say will probably also be prosecuted if found to be at fault.
It is obvious from the opening post that he is fully aware that this is outside of his competence and that he has taken it upon himself to modify the controls of the machine. There is no mention of his superiors having instructed him to do anything, or even being aware that he was doing this job.
For all we know he could have been sent there to do an unrelated job but was asked to 'have a quick a look whilst you're here' by someone on site.
Still the Firms fault for letting him near the machine, obviously there is a discrepancy in the firms maintenance procedure, the H&S Advisor is to blame as well, they should have a H&S policy in force, not having one is the ultimate fault of the Board of directors and who is Boss of that lot? the CEO, so ultimately He or She is to blame, yes Matey will get his --- kicked but any prosecution will be served on the firms hierarchy.

Rules haven't changed. Yes the CEO will likely be in court with him, and the company will likely face larger fines.
Nothing likely about it Rob, his is the ultimate responsibility, that's why he is on mega bucks, to ensure his workforce is operating within the rules.

Still the Firms fault for letting him near the machine, obviously there is a discrepancy in the firms maintenance procedure, the H&S Advisor is to blame as well, they should have a H&S policy in force, not having one is the ultimate fault of the Board of directors and who is Boss of that lot? the CEO, so ultimately He or She is to blame, yes Matey will get his --- kicked but any prosecution will be served on the firms hierarchy.

Prosecution will fall on the person modifying the machine and the company.

Unfortunately having been used as an investigator in a couple of court cases this is just how it works. The CEO is not meant to have all the technical knowledge to do every role in the company. Hence him employing competent persons. This will be what the company will be charged with.

I think we may be talking at crossed purposes here.
Im going on the assumption that the OP is working for a contractor and not directly for the company who own the press.

Nothing likely about it Rob, his is the ultimate responsibility, that's why he is on mega bucks, to ensure his workforce is operating within the rules.
I think we may be talking at crossed purposes here.
Im going on the assumption that the OP is working for a contractor and not directly for the company who own the press.
Doesn't matter who he works for, once he is on site he must undergo an induction course, which will include H&S procedures, which ALL visiting contractors must adhere too.

Reply to Need help with control panels. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net