Discuss Need help with economy seven heater in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ChrisC

-
Reaction score
Hi there. My brother has a horstmann economy seven quartz heater and we have no idea how to work it. The heating is on during the day, so the flat is nice and toasty while he is at work and is freezing when he is home in the evening. There doesn’t seem to be any timer dial except for one I’m assuming is supposed to be set to the actual time (there are lines for bst and bwt) and a boost button. Instructions online talk about unscrewing the back which doesn’t seem right. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Economy 7 heating is supposed to work by heating something up during the night, then releasing the stored heat during the day.
There is usually some flaps that can be adjusted to reduce or increase the amount of heat given off.
Adjusting the flaps to the minimum should retain more of the heat, so there will still be heat in the evening.

On the individual heaters, usually a knob that you turn. Clockwise for more heat, anti clockwise for less heat.
Most heaters will have 2 knobs, one is a thermostatic control which controls input heat, the other knob the output heat.
Turn the input to high to increase the amount of heat the unit absorbs during the night, the output to low to reduce how much heat is released during the day.
You can usually tell them apart as the input heat will click at a certain point, the output will make more of a clang as it opens and shuts flaps.

That controller is for the hot water, as has been said. A picture of the heater or proper make/model of the actual heater would be helpful.

That controller is for the hot water, as has been said. A picture of the heater or proper make/model of the actual heater would be helpful.

Yep,a brief description of the water heating,room heater types,etc,could assist in this matter.

It always makes me smile,a bit,that modern heating set-ups,can be controlled from a phone in Brazil,with multiple additional inputs,to aid comfort and economy...yet it is often the installs from the 50's,60's and 70's,that provide a puzzle :)

Admittedly,equipment added since,sometimes by clueless DNO's,does not help,smooth transition,to modernity :rolleyes:

Reply to Need help with economy seven heater in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net