• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss NEED HELP WITH KITCHEN PRICING FOR FIRST TIME in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nazyv

-
Reaction score
A friend of a friend is ripping out old kitchen units and replacing for new, they require an additional 4 sockets in the kitchen. After I confirm the kitchen has its own ring and the relevant checks the job will be splitting the ring at one socket and chasing down from that socket and then chasing back up 3 times for 4 sockets above kitchen worktop level at 3 different locations which also means chasing and installing back boxes. I will also leave enough cable to wire single oven point most probably in the new unit also isolate and disconnect 6mm from old all in one cooker and then connect 6mm to individual hob once worktops are in place. I will also leave enough cable to install surface mount socket in one of the units for a small fridge. There's also 3 existing sockets that are working but the back boxes are half visible because it was originally covered by 2 layers of tiles which have now been removed so they need to be chased deeper in the wall or most probably replaced for new back box. The customer has purchased all sockets and back boxes, I need to supply 2.5mm t&e cable etc. Any help with rough prices to work off would be a great help. Thank you

price up the materials that you will be supplying. add 20%. then estimate the time to do the job, (say 2 days), then add those 2 days labour at your day rate,allowing time for testing and writing up your EIC.from what you have posted, i'd quote a ball park figure of around £650, assuming no remedials needed on earthing and bonding etc.

£420-£460. 1stfix and 2nd fix tested and part p notified. Are you just leaving the 2.5 cable betweeen sockets dangling on the floor or clipping on surface below wktop height?

price up the materials that you will be supplying. add 20%. then estimate the time to do the job, (say 2 days), then add those 2 days labour at your day rate,allowing time for testing and writing up your EIC.from what you have posted, i'd quote a ball park figure of around £650, assuming no remedials needed on earthing and bonding etc.

Thank you that's a big help :)

£420-£460. 1stfix and 2nd fix tested and part p notified. Are you just leaving the 2.5 cable betweeen sockets dangling on the floor or clipping on surface below wktop height?
too cheap....min.3 visits. customer changing spec. half way through, snags, other trades under your feet. hmmm.

You need to charge more IMHO... Part p applies to kitchens in Wales ..... So you need to deal with that too.

Is the fuseboard up to date?

You need to charge more IMHO... Part p applies to kitchens in Wales ..... So you need to deal with that too.

Is the fuseboard up to date?

I need to check the fuseboard as it was high level and at the time i didn't have my steps. Once again I really appreciatell your reply so thank you

P.s check rcd / mcb protection complies, bonding inplace, ring final conductors continuous. Good luck, post back once youve finished, will be good for others taking on similar jons.

I do a lot of my kitchen refurbs on hour or day rate. Sometimes all manner of extra work is revealed, once the old units have been removed, especially if it's not the original kitchen.

As it's a mate you could come up with some mates rates, as long your not doing it as a love job! This will give you some experience on pricing for future work, and give you an idea on how long things take.

Your mate might need to consider having the wall skimmed, where he's removed the tiles, unless he's re-tiling or other wall coverings.

I do a lot of my kitchen refurbs on hour or day rate. Sometimes all manner of extra work is revealed, once the old units have been removed, especially if it's not the original kitchen.

As it's a mate you could come up with some mates rates, as long your not doing it as a love job! This will give you some experience on pricing for future work, and give you an idea on how long things take.

Your mate might need to consider having the wall skimmed, where he's removed the tiles, unless he's re-tiling or other wall coverings.

Thank you for your help

I've just first fixed one recently but got a look around under the floor before I started. The rest of the house is a mess electrically and I ended up getting drawn into tidying up circuits which were part of the living room and a spur off to the garage and outside light all from the kitchen. Bonding was non-existent. I spent best part of day 1 just tidying up what was there and closing up circuits in the rest of the house. I've installed 2 new beakers for the kitchen, one for lighting one for my ring circuit and there is an existing for the oven. That way my nice new install isn't part of the rest of the mess in the house. May be overkill but ring fences what I am doing.

2nd day was a 12 hour chasing out and first fixing the lot. I then plan on a 3rd day for 2nd fix and test. However the socket behind the dishwasher won't fit, no space behind so thats got to be moved as well.

I'd say kitchens are the hardest room to do and everything has got to be bang on or it will look shoddy when its tiled and everything is in.

I've charged £1300 for mine although it is all brushed stainless outlets and brushed stainless down lights but it has been a nice earner.

I've just first fixed one recently but got a look around under the floor before I started. The rest of the house is a mess electrically and I ended up getting drawn into tidying up circuits which were part of the living room and a spur off to the garage and outside light all from the kitchen. Bonding was non-existent. I spent best part of day 1 just tidying up what was there and closing up circuits in the rest of the house. I've installed 2 new beakers for the kitchen, one for lighting one for my ring circuit and there is an existing for the oven. That way my nice new install isn't part of the rest of the mess in the house. May be overkill but ring fences what I am doing.

2nd day was a 12 hour chasing out and first fixing the lot. I then plan on a 3rd day for 2nd fix and test. However the socket behind the dishwasher won't fit, no space behind so thats got to be moved as well.

I'd say kitchens are the hardest room to do and everything has got to be bang on or it will look shoddy when its tiled and everything is in.

I've charged £1300 for mine although it is all brushed stainless outlets and brushed stainless down lights but it has been a nice earner.

I bet your glad that's over lol. Thanks for the info :)

I'd say kitchens are the hardest room to do and everything has got to be bang on or it will look shoddy when its tiled and everything is in..

Kitchens are the hardest to price too - I only give a ball park estimate until the old cupboards are all pulled out - and the true extent of the work can be properly calculated ......

I've just first fixed one recently but got a look around under the floor before I started. The rest of the house is a mess electrically and I ended up getting drawn into tidying up circuits which were part of the living room and a spur off to the garage and outside light all from the kitchen. Bonding was non-existent. I spent best part of day 1 just tidying up what was there and closing up circuits in the rest of the house. .

You can get drawn into being a night in shining armour, but most customers actually don't give a damn, so be careful, otherwise you could end up with an unpaid bill!

Do not provide a fixed quote and (especially) do not start work until you have a confirmed, final, never to be changed, kitchen plan.

How many times have I completed first fix wiring only to be told:

we thought it would be nice to have an instant boiling water tap on the sink
or
we've changed our mind on having a gas hob in the island unit and now we are having a 5000KW electric induction one
or
did we mention we'll need a supply for the water softener
or
we've decided to have multi-coloured lights set into the plinth and we want them to be switched over there, by the door, where the other switches are

etc
etc
etc

I always provide fixed prices for all my jobs. Its not difficult to list out everything you have included for then any changes or extras are a variation. A simple line in your quote along the lines of "By accepting this quote you are deemed to have reviewed its content and accept this as being the scope of the works" puts you in the clear.

My plumber mate always provides sketchy estimates and then gets the client saying "Oh, I thought you had included that" it just leaves a bitter taste all round.

@Taylortwocities, your example of the hob, my quote would have said 1 x single socket outlet for gas hob ignition. Jobe done. Client changes to induction you go back and say this was not included and now needs a 6mm feed I will quote this for you if you decide to go ahead with the induction.

Personal preference I guess but I would say give maximum detail and clarity in your quote and everyone knows what to expect. Ok it takes a bit longer to put together but makes you think more and you miss less out.

Reply to NEED HELP WITH KITCHEN PRICING FOR FIRST TIME in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock